Chapter Seventeen - The Six Thatchers Part I

We haven't had a proper case for months - not since we got caught up with the Leviathans. That's all resolved now, apparently, but at the cost of Dean who, according to Sam, is stuck in Purgatory. He's given up on hunting now, though I can tell that won't last long.

Dad is slowly going mad with the lack of any case, and me and John look through our emails every day because we all know that we need my father fairly sane for Christmas.

"Who've you got left to buy for?" John asks me, looking at the list I've compiled as we trudge around the shops. None of us want to be here, so we're trying to get through this as soon as we can.

"Just me and you," dad says, without even looking. "It isn't hard, especially as she doesn't have many -"

"Anyway," John interrupts, not that I would have minded if he had continued. Why would I worry about not having any friends to distract me from my school work and cases? "Where do you need to go?" I don't answer immediately, more aware of the overweight pensioner dressed up as Father Christmas who makes his way towards us.

"Ho ho ho," he puts on, clutching his stomach as he gets into it. "What a lovely family we have here." By now, the children who had been following have gathered around us. "I think we've found our winners. Now tell me dear," he says, turning to me, "if you could have anything - anything in the world - what would it be?"

"I wouldn't say no to a nice juicy murder, if I'm fair," I say and his smile falters. He was probably expecting I'd say 'a new phone' or 'shopping vouchers' so it could be simple enough to get hold of. The children around us laugh nervously as their parents pull them away. I feel some hands on my shoulder and turn to see a security guard looking down at me. "Really?" I sigh and John also lets out a sigh - of annoyance.

"Nice one Soph," he says as they lead us to the back of an awaiting police car. "Well played."

"Relax, John," dad says, ducking into the car "this is the first excitement we've in months."

"We couldn't even go Christmas shopping!" he exclaims. "Have you even ever gone out to buy each other presents?"

"We tend not to, no," I reply. "Usually too busy. Only agreed because we were bored." John shakes his head and spends the rest of the journey in silence.