Chapter 2

Luckily nothing happened that night

Luckily nothing happened that night. It was sincerely uneventful and that hardly ever happened. I didn't see Josh or anyone else and although it was a struggle to get Cami back to our apartment, we made it back eventually. The rest of the weekend was hangover recovery and class preparation, until Monday morning, the official start of the new term. Luckily for me I only had to take a few classes this year because I had murdered myself during high school and freshman year so I didn't need to take more then four classes this year. I had to go to my first class at 11:00 on Monday.

The class was English. I wanted to be a novelist. I know that it wasn't a particularly lucrative career, but it was something that I really enjoyed. I also minored in Spanish so that if being a novelist didn't work out, I could be a translator for immigration court. Many people told me that those were very different career paths and I understood that, but I just wanted to do something that I was interested in and that was what I had come up with.

I wore a pair of baggy ripped jeans, a black belt, and a cropped white t-shirt that read Penn across the front. I slipped on my white Nike sneakers. I bring my laptop, a notebook, a pen and some other necessary school items. I walk to campus. It was only ten minutes away by foot and it was a nice day.

I got into class with ten minutes to spare and chose a seat in the middle of the lecture hall. Where I would have a good view, but I would not be picked on easily by the professor.

Five minutes passed and the lecture hall was filling up steadily. A tall guy with shaggy brown hair slid into the seat next to me. He glanced over at me and I smiled back at him. He looked muscular and he was undeniably attractive. A few minutes passed and the professor walked into the room and threw his briefcase onto the desk.

"I am Professor Dallon and I am teaching English Three. I expect you to be on time to class, be prepared for class, and turn in your assignments on time," he said. His voice was nasally and highly pitched. He was a stout, old man with a hairline that receded very far back into his head.

"This year we will talk about diversity in literature and how to include it in your own writing," he said.

"A diversity in literature class taught by an old white guy," the guy next to me murmured.

I snorted and tried to contain my laugh by covering it with a cough. The guy smiled at me and I returned my attention to the professor in the front.

Dallon talked through the syllabus and what else he expected from our class. He talked about our high expectations and they were high. "Next class is on Friday and I expect you to write a three page paper on the person sitting next to you," he said. I wrote that down, before I even comprehended it. Then I looked over to the guy sitting next to me and he was already looking at me. "Class dismissed."

As the class started to pack up the guy next to me turned to me. "Hey," he said with a nod.

"Hi," I smiled. I stuffed my laptop into my bag.

"I'm Cooper," he said. He stuck out his hand.

"I'm Lili," I said as I shook it.

"So when do you want to work on this?" he asked me.

"Anytime is probably fine," I told him. "When can you work on it?"

"Anytime is probably fine for me too," he said as we started to walk out of the lecture hall together. "Except for hockey practices."

"You play hockey?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he said as if I should have known.

"Okay," I said a little defensively.

"Here," he said as he plucked my phone from my hands. "I'll put my number and I'll text you when we can work on this."

"Great," I said. We went our separate ways. I started to walk towards the coffee shop on campus where I was supposed to meet Cami.

I walk up to the counter and I order a lavender tea. I take a seat at our usual table and scroll through my phone until somebody slips across the table from me. I took up and I saw my best friend holding a coffee that was mostly made of mostly cream.

"Sorry I'm late, love," she said.

"Don't worry," I said. I put my phone down and looked at her as she shimmed to get more comfortable in her seat.

"How was your first lecture?" she asked me as she took a sip of her drink.

"It was fine," I shrugged. "I already got an assignment."

"What is it?" she asked. "To write a paper about another person in the class."

"Who'd you get?" she asked.

"I got Cooper," I said."I don't know his last name, he said that he plays hockey." I take another sip of my tea.

"Cooper Johnson?!" she said, excitedly.

"I guess so," I agreed.

"Why do you get to run into the hot hockey players and I don't?" she complained.

"I guess I'm just lucky," I sigh.

My phone buzzes and I check it.

Cooper: meet me @ the Hockey House tonight at 6

Me: Where is the Hockey House?

Cooper dropped a pin

I rolled my eyes and locked my phone again.

"So," Cami said. "What's the plan for tonight?"

"I guess that I am going to the Hockey House tonight to interview Cooper for the project," I told her.

"And leave me alone to do our first day of school tradition of drinking wine and watching 500 days of Summer," she complained in outrage.

"I'll be back before that. I have work anyways, I'll be back around nine," I promised her.

"Fine," she sighed noncommittally.

"Don't you have a lecture now?" I asked her as I checked my phone.

"My lecture isn't until 11:30," she said.

"It's 11:45," I told her.

"Shit," she curses. She springs up from the table and runs out the door. I laugh as I watch my best friend race across the grass. She was actually running while trying to drink her coffee. She was quite a sight to behold.

I finished my tea and I left to go to my second lecture.

Word Count: 1118