Part One: Fearless (Michael)

When Ava smiled, the world moved in a beautiful slow drunkness.

And whenever I looked at her, the street lights blurred into oblivion, and for a moment, just that moment, whether it was seconds or eons, it would feel as if it were only me and her.

She was my world.

"Micheal, watch this." She smiled.

I grinned and watched her hike her leg up over a tree branch, her camera dangling for dear life as it clung to her neck.

She never worried about breaking it. Ava was born on a lucky star. There was no contest, no test, no person that Ava couldn't win over or ace.

"Scared you're gonna fall?" I called from below, her legs dangling from the branch above me.

She laughed. "Not even in the slightest. Catch!"

She tossed her camera down. It fumbled in my hands as I struggled to catch it, but I managed, knowing she would definitely kill me if I dropped it.

Even though I wasn't born on a lucky star, I used at least a year's worth of luck to catch her camera.

"Take a picture of me up here." She grinned, a smile stretching all the way to her ears.

Squinting, I peered into the view finder, zooming in so close to her face I could count every freckle on her nose.

"Micheal, hurry!" She giggled, not breaking her smile.

Click. She climbed down the tree and grabbed the camera back.

"I look like a goblin." She laughed.

The cicadas chirped in agreement as we made our way home, walking side by side, my arms swaying, as she focused on her photo.

"A cute goblin." I teased.

She smacked me with her free hand. "At least I'm not a scaredy cat who won't climb trees."

I sighed a dreamy sigh. That's Ava Baker.