Part Seven: Secrets (Michael)

Ava was kissing me.

Like really kissing me.

I felt like I was floating, floating higher than the tree she climbed, higher than the clouds and landing right on the lucky star she lived on.

I could have kissed her forever, but my phone buzzed for the thousandth time.

I pulled away and smiled. "If I don't answer, my mom is gonna send a swat team for me."

She smiled back.

"Hello?" I said into the phone. "Yes, ma.... Tell ba I'll be home in a bit... I'm with Ava... Yes, yes I know it's late. Okay, I'll help her study tomorrow. Okay, bye."

I looked back at Ava, not even sure what to say.

"Uh." Was all I could muster.

"You have to go home?" Ava asked as if she hadn't just had the best kiss of her life.

It was the best kiss I had ever had, but I would be lying if I said Ava was my first kiss.

There was my girlfriend from middle school. We dated for a whole three weeks, ending with a quick peck on the lips.

And then there was Amy.

I swear I didn't lie to Ava. I didn't like Amy, we were just friends. Except that one night.

We were home alone, it was pouring so hard, it sounded like the gods were dumping buckets of water on the roof of my house. My parents were out with her parents, they were stuck in the rain an hour away at a wedding.

"I'm done studying." Amy declared, slamming her math textbook closed.

"Cool." I said, getting up from the kitchen counter.

I made my way to the fridge.

"Michael?" Amy asked.

"Hmm?" I called back, rummaging through the fridge.

"Do you want to kiss me?"

The bag of baby carrots I grabbed fell to the floor.

Kiss Amy Chen? Popular, outgoing party girl Amy Chen?

"You're funny." I said, bending down to pick up the carrots that had escaped the bag.

Amy bent down beside me. I tensed.

"It's not like I like you like that, Michael." She laughed.

I narrowed my eyes. "Wow, thanks."

She slapped my arm. "You know what I mean, dude. You're like in love with Ava. At school I'm into Jack, but we aren't with them."

Jack Hart. She spent every waking second around him, as if he was the sun and she was the earth orbiting around him. If I hadn't known any better, I would have assumed they were dating. 

But our parents also thought we were together, so I guess looks could be deceiving. 

"I don't love Ava Baker." I lied. "That's why I'm not with her."

Amy laughed again. "You're like her puppy dog. The reason you're not with her, the reason I'm not with Jack is cause we can't bring them home to our Asian parents."

I never thought about who I dated, whether they shared my culture or not. Sure, I knew my parents preferred a Chinese girl, a girl who shared our traditions. But I didn't think they would disown me if I brought home someone else.

"Our dating pool is slim." Amy sighed. "There's like five Asian kids in our grade. I don't want to date someone just because they're Asian. I want to date someone because I like them."

"Then do that." I shrugged.

"Michael, you are so dense." She rubbed her temples. "I can't do that, you can't do that. Why do you think our parents make us study?"

"Because they're playing matchmaker?"

"Exactly!" She exclaimed. "But we get nothing out of it cause we don't like each other. So, let's get something out of it."

"Okay, I'm lost again."

Amy patted my head. "Michael, this is the reason why I could never fall for you. Let me spell it out for you: I've never had a boyfriend, never even kissed a guy. Be my first kiss."

In theory, it sounded like a horrible idea. First kisses were meant to be special, right? But what guy would pass up kissing a girl? Amy was cute, she had long black hair and a button nose.

Before I could answer, she pulled me towards her and kissed me. I shouldn't have kissed her back, I know, but I did.

The carrots we had just picked up toppled onto the floor again, rolling underneath the fridge, but I didn't caare.

It just felt so good to not think about Ava, even in those brief moments with Amy.