Part Three: Shy Guy (Ava)

Michael Lao.

He kinda looked like a string bean, a sweaty string bean.

He left sweat marks on my camera lens, the imprint of his skin on the tempered glass.

He didn't speak a lot either. All my questions were answered with one word, like a caveman.

"Close. Track." He said, tugging at his uniform.

A shy guy? Or maybe a rude guy.

"Doesn't track make you feel like a hamster in a ball?" I asked.

He raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?

Four words, nice.

"Like isn't it boring?"

He laughed, like genuinely laughed. I liked making him laugh. Okay, so he wasn't rude, just shy. I liked talking to a shy guy, he was like a vault full of secrets and making him laugh was getting closer to cracking the code.

When he laughed, he was kinda cute.

"Why are you laughing?" I smiled.

"Of course it gets boring." He smiled back. "But that's what I like about running. It's consistent."

"I stand by what I said, it's boring." I pretended to yawn.

Holding up my camera, I snapped a quick photo of him before his smile evaporated.

"Hey!" Michael sighed, covering his face with his hands.

"Gonna submit this to the yearbook!" I yelled back, skipping down the hallway.

As I walked away, I looked at the picture, looked at Michael. His face was softer, his eyes kinder. That's what I loved about photography, to capture a moment, even if it's just for a moment, I get to feel that moment over and over again.

Smiling, I tucked my camera into my bag and decided I would make it a habit to leave the dark room around the time the track team ended practice.