09.

A/N

This chapter includes my lame and wishful attempt to connect this universe with the Written and Composed universe. Those who read Jake and Melannie's story already might be able to understand the references ;) And I've got to say I love how this chapter turned out. I wanted to keep writing but I had to cut it short to be mindful of the word count. Please enjoy and leave comments and votes. Stay safe.

cara xx

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

IT WASN'T EASY. As if the world knew her secret, all Akshara could hear was his name. She caught the single-syllable uttered in the cafeteria, in the library, on the television, in her room, in storybooks. Jasper and Indy mentioned it and she couldn't ask them to stop. Her phone rang multiple times with the name Whyte on the caller ID and her mind automatically linked up his first name. The name throbbed like a bee sting inside her head.

"I hope everyone has submitted a report on the status of your project. I will be giving a few instructions. Other than that, I won't take much of your time today." Professor Isabelle said, walking in with a register in her hands. "Seth."

Akshara froze. "What-what did you say?" she asked.

Isabelle frowned in concern but nevertheless repeated. "Sit. I asked you to sit. Is something wrong, Akshara? You're unusually pale."

When Akshara shook her head and sat down, Jasper leaned towards her. "Hey, what's wrong? You want to get some air? Or go to the nurse?"

She could feel everyone's gaze land on her. She could feel them racking their brains trying to guess why Akshara Zim, the brightest and the most cheerful student, looked like she confronted a ghost.

Maybe she didn't sleep. Maybe she's run out of the drug she takes. Maybe she finally cracked under the pressure. Maybe she's lost it.

And Akshara told the same thing to herself. Maybe you've really lost it.

"Jasper, isn't it? Take her outside and..." Professor Isabelle went on as she patted her back. She couldn't believe she broke down in front of her favourite professor. She wondered what she might think of her after this. Will what happened reach Seth? What will he think of her? Akshara's mind was reeling, conjuring a million thoughts and questions only to go back to one person. One name.

It was getting loud. Really fucking loud.

"You're outside. Look at me, look at me," Jasper said, shaking her shoulders.

Akshara blinked.

"You're scaring the fucking shit out of me, monkey." He pulled her into a hug. "Can you just tell me what happened? I could help you. Why aren't you not telling me anything?"

Akshara wanted to cry but the tears wouldn't come. "I want to sleep," she said instead. Jasper took her to her apartment, made sure she was comfortable and sent ten texts to Indy for the first time, asking her to take care of her when she returned.

She didn't speak much that day. She texted Seth that she was ill and wouldn't be able to meet him any time soon. Indy forced her favourite extra cheesy pasta down her throat and poured her a glass of wine. Akshara claimed she was tired when Indy suggested they do each other's nails and went back to bed.

She didn't go to college the next day. Indy looked worried and she felt extremely guilty of troubling her friends but she didn't know what else to do. That evening when Indy came back from her part-time job, she lugged a Christmas tree into their apartment with the help of Casian, their neighbour.