Finding Betsy - Chapter 20

Christmas with two children was never going to be a quiet affair. Yet, with his former in laws and Betsy's family descending upon them for the holidays, the house would soon be awash with activity. He still hadn't expected...this. A part of him had almost forgotten about the interview and photo shoot they had agreed to as part of the latest PR campaign. Even so, he still didn't understand how this has been scheduled the day before his in laws were due to arrive.

"Welcome home, sir." His ever efficient driver chuckled as he pulled open the door to the car.

Nick slid from the back of the car and his mouth dropped open. It was like Santa's elves and the sugar plum fairy had had a massive party. Fairy lights shone in every window, ornate Christmas reindeer stood on the manicured lawns, and someone had even braved a trip up to the roof and covered it in twinkling lights. It was surprisingly tasteful yet a part of him wondered whether his house could now be seen from space.

Nick glanced at his watch and gave a sigh. Less than an hour.

With a shake of his head, he offered a hand to his driver. "Thank you as ever. Everyone is making their own way here so this is me formally giving you Christmas off. Have a lovely time with your wife and the little one. I know Betsy will expect lots of cute pictures."

Nick wrinkled his nose even as he said the words. The things the woman had him doing these days.

His driver nodded and grinned widely. "Thank you, sir." He stated, before glancing up at the house. "Though are you sure you don't want me to stay. With the guests arriving soon, I'm happy to wait around just in case you need me."

Nick shook his head. "No, while the gesture is appreciated, the security team will have everything in hand should our guests cause any trouble. "

"Of course," the younger man stated, closing the passenger door gently before turning to face his employer. "Well, if I won't be seeing you beforehand, have a great Christmas."

"You too."

With the last exchange, his driver climbed back into the vehicle. Nick turned away and headed up the front steps and into the home beyond. He was instantly greeted by the warm comforting scent of freshly baked cookies and also the hint of spice - perhaps cinnamon. Peeling his jacket from his shoulders, Nick went to hang up his coat only to find the coat rack gone. With a frown, he glanced around.

While his home was never messy, it was an entirely different level of clean. All of the little touches which made it a home rather than a giant mausoleum were gone. Someone had removed the coat rack, and the dozens of pairs of shoes which usually spilled over the sides of the shoe rack and pooled on the floor beside it.

In its place were elegant Christmas lights and artful silver tinsel. It was beautiful but also sterile. After spending the previous Christmas with Betsy and the kids, with homemade decorations hanging above every doorway, the current decorations were lacklustre. Hollow.

"It feels wrong, doesn't it?" Betsy murmured as she strode to greet him. Reaching up on her tiptoes, she pressed a kiss to his cheek before taking his coat. "I'll put this away. They'll be here shortly so you may want to run up and get ready."

Nick nodded his head, reaching out to tug on the curl which has escaped the artfully messy bun. Gone were her preferred casual clothes. Instead she wore a pair of black tailored slacks, a deep green cashmere sweater, and a pair of black boots which added several inches to her height. Small diamonds glittered from her ears.

"You look beautiful." Nick muttered, giving her hair a soft tug. Though, if he was honest with himself, while she looked beautiful in her attire, a part of him had come to appreciate the dungarees and Crocs she still wore when she thought no one would see.

Finding Betsy (Betsy Jones Book 2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara