xxvi

PEACE ARMONI JONES
|18|

PEACE SAT UP rubbing her eyes as she patted around her bed for her phone

PEACE SAT UP rubbing her eyes as she patted around her bed for her phone. Once she found it, she turned the brightness down before checking the time. 2:35 a.m. the time read as she frowned her face up wondering why she was up. As she sat on her bed in silence for a few minutes, she started to hear sobs coming from the other side of the door.

She slipped her feet into her crocs, quietly exit her room. The sobs began to get louder as she approached Amaru's room. She held her ear to door as she listened to him cry softly. She opened the door slowly as she seen him on his tablet scrolling through pictures.

"Ru?" Peace questioned as he turned to face her, his face was red as tears continued to cascade down his face. "What's wrong baby?"

"I miss daddy, mommy." Amaru spoke not even knowing what he had called them. "Daddy don't like me?"

Peace furrowed her eyebrows together in shock and confusion because one, he had just called her mommy. And two, Ru didn't even know his dad, because he died a few months before Amaru was born. "What you mean stink? Your daddy died." She spoke softly.

"Von died?" He questioned as he cried harder as he placed his hands into his face.

"What? No Ru." Peace spoke as she sat on his bed pulling him into her lap. "Tell me what's wrong?"

"I b-been calling Von, and he never answer." He sobbed. "Daddy don't like me no more?"

Peace sighed lowly wishing she had never blocked Von from Ru's iPad. She laid her head on top of his as he cried. She grabbed his iPad as he cried softly in her chest, unlocking it she unblocked Von and pressed the FaceTime icon.

"Hello." Von spoke tiredly as he rubbed his red eyes, his eyebrows furrowing together as he heard crying. "What's wrong wit' him?"

"Can you come over please?" Peace questioned softly as she tried to get him to stop crying.

"Here I come." He spoke before hanging up.

"Ru stop crying baby." Peace spoke lowly as she  ran his fingers through his hair.

"He don't like me no more?" He questioned as he cried into her neck.

"He loves you Ru stop crying." She spoke as she rubbed his back.

A few seconds later she heard a knock on her door making her scrunch her eyebrows up because Von stayed about twenty minutes away from her. She held Amaru's back as she walked into the front room to open the door. Von walked in grabbing Amaru from Peace as he walked over to the couch.

"What you cryin' for Grandbabii?" Von questioned as Amaru wrapped his arms around his torso tightly.

"You don't like me no more Daddy?" Amaru questioned as he wiped his tears. "I did something bad?"