17

Parker preferred the radio to play the popular rap playlist on Spotify the entire ride to school

Normally, I wouldn't have minded; it used to be his favorite kind of music as well, but today...

Today I was not in a rap music kind of mood.

There were two ways my musical genres could've gone today:

1. Heavy death metal where the singer is actually a screaming banshee yelling about death and destruction and hell and devouring your enemies and drinking their blood while slaughtering everything in sight.

2. Haunting melodies with heady orchestral production and heavenly vocals with lyrics detailing love lost and hearts broken and a pain unending.

Not songs with thumping bass bragging about a lifestyle they probably didn't even live, men objectifying women and women objectifying men.

When the third song came on, the singer droning on about drugs and ass and I was about done.

"Okay, how about no."

I snagged Parker's phone from the dash, thankfully unlocked and already on the Spotify page, and typed in my favorite playlist. 'Chill and Atmospheric'.

I was worried he would've had me committed had I put the other playlist on my mind, 'Death Metal Classics'.

"Really? You listen to this? It's so slow and boring."

"I don't listen to music for just the beats and the fact that it's what everyone listens to at house parties."

"I don't just listen to music for that reason either. I like rap music because of the beats and the lyrics, too."

"'I won't love a ho, after we fuck she can't get near me, only bitch I give a conversation to is Siri,'" I quoted back to him from one of the songs we'd just listened to.

"Okay, maybe that's not a very good lyric, but..."

"Yes? I'm listening."

"Okay, yeah, the lyrics are shit, but it's a good beat."

"Well then, let me introduce you to one of my favorite songs with more than just a good beat."

The song swelled and the orchestration grew in the background, the production bringing chills to my arms.

Parker bobbed his head to the music and seemed to be getting into it, and then the woman's voice cascaded in a lovely interwoven melody that never failed to pull me out of whatever I was feeling.

"Holy shit. This sounds like it would be on Lord of the Rings or something. You just listen to this randomly?"

"Yep. It's fun to listen to it and get lost in that instead of my head."