25

Sunlight coated Cami's hair in soft golden rays and I wished for the first time in my entire life that this moment would last forever; that time would stop moving and that I'd never grow old just so that I could relive this over again and again an...

Sunlight coated Cami's hair in soft golden rays and I wished for the first time in my entire life that this moment would last forever; that time would stop moving and that I'd never grow old just so that I could relive this over again and again and again.

I used to relish the fact that I would age; that I would grow old and senile and forget all the pains of my past. I used to think that life was so horrible that I couldn't wait to be eighty or ninety years old and on my death bed, waiting for death like a perfect, nice human who'd lived a perfect, ordinary uneventful life and never tried to end it prematurely.

But now, with Cami wrapped around my arms and clinging to me like she was scared I'd somehow float away in her dreams...now I knew the reason why some people said they were scared of death.

I knew why they said they wanted to live forever, when previously I'd thought it to be a punishment akin to torture to be forced to walk this godforsaken earth for an eternity.

Soft breaths escaped her mouth and she sighed out in contentment, and I never wanted to wake her.

How unfortunate for me that the sun did that all on its own.

She smiled up at me sheepishly after realizing how close she'd tucked herself to me.

"Sorry," she said but I didn't respond. She had absolutely nothing to be sorry for.

I jumped up out of her bed first and left to mine before anyone could figure out what had happened last night.

We'd...slept. After having the most intensely intimate moment of my life. I could only wonder if it were the same for her, if she could sense the power of that moment as it flowed through my veins.

We dressed for school separately, but it was when I found her waiting outside with the helmet already on her head that I almost dropped down to my knees in worship of her.

She didn't allow things to be awkward or tense between us.

She clung tightly to me on the smooth ride to school, body loose and content...because of the events of the night before, or because she knew Colton wouldn't be at school to torment her?

He was still in the hospital according to the rumors still swirling on social media.

The courtyard was bare of the 'group' that Parker always hung around. Maybe they finally realized none of them really liked each other and split up. That would've been the cherry on top of the best night I'd had in my entire life.

I hadn't had a single nightmare, even after the effects of the weed I'd smoked had worn off. No nightmares, no dreams, just peace. Just contented, sweet, restful sleep.

Was Cami my remedy?

I never wanted to sleep alone again.

Not if that was how real sleep should have felt like this entire time; not if that was what I'd been missing out on all these years when the anxiety and depression would follow and torment me into oblivion.