27

"Grey slow down!  We don't have to do this today—I know we have the resources to pay for the surgeon right now but it doesn't have to be rushed!"

I ignored my mom—like always—and pushed through the glass double doors of the out-patient center. 

I'd spent many afternoons in this very building receiving stern lectures in a back room offset from the surgical rooms. 

The doctor my parents had hired privately to handle the trauma to my vocal cords had a very experimental procedure that would give me up to ninety percent of full vocal use back, and my mother's money was a guarantee that I would have the best of the best. 

The surgery had been set up for almost an entire year, but I had never set a date.  I had never decided when to do this, despite the ticking clock on the procedure.  The more I let it go untreated, the worse it would become. 

I had to try.  It was now or never. 

"Mr. Hartingrove, I wasn't expecting you today—oh, Maria.  How can I help you today?"

"Grey is adamant about having the surgery today.  I don't want him to lose his enthusiasm for it, but I told him you would be too busy.  Isn't that right?"

The doctor must've taken pity on me. 

Must've seen the burning desperation on my features, the pain etched onto the writing on the silver strands of my soul that were seeping out of my pores. 

I couldn't handle the news—all of it.  

My mother and father, the secrets they'd been keeping from me almost my entire life. 

Cami...her family and my family's own involvement in the downfall of them. 

When would it ever end?

When I finally stood up and took responsibility for my own actions and decided to let the past go and forgive myself.  That was when it would finally end...

When I would be able to control the things happening around me would be when I stopped allowing the past to dictate my future. 

"Actually, I have availability for this afternoon.  Grey, we've been waiting for you to be ready for this surgery for a long while.  Are you ready?  I'll just have you sign some paperwork since you're over eighteen.  Right this way."

My mother had no more arguments. 

This was happening. 

I'd finally be able to speak again without excruciating pain. 

Would it be enough to pull me out of the depths I'd fallen into? 

Would it make me enough?

For Cami, I'd try.  For Cami, I'd do anything.