16

*NOTE: I have published a new book (This is why the wait between chapters has been super long) and I really hope some of you try it! If not, that's totally okay! Onward with the fanfiction, my Lovlies!*

James's Point Of View

I put about five blankets on top of him after he fell asleep, and walked into the kitchen.

I called Fury from Stefan's phone, not wanting to make the trip all the way upstairs with Stefan in this condition.

"Where are you? You're late. I haven't seen you this late since you started working here!"

"It's not Stefan, Fury. I'm using his phone to tell you he's sick and can't come in."

Fury was silent for a while.

"He always gets sick at the worst time. Let the old geezer rest."

And, much to my unsurprise, he hung up while grumbling about Stefan needing to retire.

I rummaged through the kitchen, finding nothing to make for him.

"Dammit, Stefan." I muttered, going back into the bedroom after grabbing a cloth and wetting it with cold water.

He was awake again, and watching me intently as I sat next to him on the edge of the bed, gently placing the cloth on his forehead.

He groaned, his eyes and eyebrows scrunched up as he moved his head, making the cloth fall off.

"Stefan, you need to keep this on your forehead." I scolded gently, cupping his cheek with one hand so I could put the cloth back on his forehead.

"No." He argued, turned his head away again.

"Stefan, please do this. You won't get better if you don't. And if you don't get better, then you might have to stay here all by yourself until you are."

He stopped struggling after that, and kept the cloth on his forehead.

I kissed his nose, and he grunted in dissatisfaction.

"You're sick, Mister. No mouth kisses until you're better." I stated, making him whine and throw a tantrum.

"Stop it, Stefan. You are 49 years old. Stop acting like you're 2."

He huffed, glaring at me. "I feel fine."

"Yes, well, 'fine' is not 'good', now is it?" I retorted, getting up to fix him a bath.

He grabbed my hand weakly, but strong enough for me to turn around and look at him.

"I'm just getting the bath started for you. I'll be right back." I explained gently, and after a moment he let my hand go, grumbling about me 'coming back quick'.

When I finished getting the bath ready, I helped him up and into the tub, going as far as helping him undress, because his head kept slowly falling back as I saw his eyes kept trying to roll back into his head.

He looked as if he was about to faint, so I had to make this quick.

I got him in the tub, and quickly cleaned him up, massaging his head with shampoo as he tried to convince me he wasn't falling asleep.

"I'm awake... promise..."

I hummed sarcastically in agreement, smiling as his head turned heavy in my hands.

After I finished, I went into the bedroom to lay towels all over the bed, and then I lifted him out of the tub, dripping wet and completely naked.

He was knocked out, still completely asleep, and I dried him off on the bed, before I took the towels off the bed and pulled the blankets out from under him and covered him up.

I looked around Stefan's closet, and pulled out the cutest pajamas I've ever seen big enough for a grown man.

They had polka dots on them.

Pink ones.

It's a matching set.

I put them on Stefan, trying my best to not destroy my relationship with him by laughing.

I then left the bedroom and laid on the couch to watch TV.

----------------------------------

It was around 8 pm when he woke up, shuffling out of the bedroom like a zombie.

"Not so fast, get back in bed." I ordered, standing in front of him so he couldn't continue his journey to the kitchen, placing my hand on his forehead.

He was still warm, but not as warm as before.

I helped him back in bed, and kissed his forehead, leaving for a minute to re-wet the cloth and put it back on his forehead.

Before I could stand up and leave, he gently tugged me down into bed with him, snuggling me against his side.

"Stefan!" I laughed, making him smile.

"You're a super soldier. You'll be fine." He reasoned, pulling my face towards him so he could leave kisses all over it.

He kissed me all over my face, ears, chin and jaw, holding my wrists so I couldn't get away-- even though we both knew I wasn't planning on it.

"Stefan, you need to sleep." I breathed, feeling him drag his lips down my throat.

"I feel great, promise." He assured me, sitting up and lifting me into his lap. His arms hooked around my hips, his thumbs warm against my skin as he placed them on the top of my hip bones, under my shirt.

"Stefan--" I tried again, biting my lip to stop myself.

I felt his lips tugging into a smirk.

I'm encouraging him every time I argue.

But if I go along with it, then this'll happen anyway.

Smug bastard he is, knowing that I wouldn't dare make him stop.

His mouth moved all over my shoulders and collar bone, before his hands went completely under my shirt, sliding up my waist to hold me just under either side of my ribcage.

My arms slipped around his neck, making him sigh happily.

I moved myself closer to him, my crotch flush against his hips.

When his hands started rubbing my shoulder blades, and he accidentally touched my metal arm, I froze.

He raised an eyebrow at me, and I smiled sheepishly.

He used both hands, grabbed onto the metal arm, and placed slow, gentle, feather light kisses on my knuckles, palm, the back of my hand, and up my arm, before he got to the base of it.

"I'd rather keep it on, but..." He muttered, kissing my cheek as he pressed the release button, gently leaning to the side to place the arm on the floor.

I immediately kissed him, my eyes watering from happy tears.

He chuckled, kissing me back.

I went to take it a step further, and pushed his shoulder back to make him fall on the bed.

His back arched due to the movement, which was to be expected.

What was not to be expected, was that when this happened, a series of loud, hard cracks that made their way up and around the bottom of his spine, making his body shudder.

He immediately moved a hand to his back, and I stared at him, wide-eyed, thinking I might have broke his spine.

His face twisted into an emotion I couldn't decipher, so I immediately assumed it to be pain.

Shit.