Chapter 5

The next morning was my first day working at Robbie's. Delilah was not happy about it. "Why don't you just focus on restocking?" I had made a mistake on the register. "What's your problem with me?" I asked while restocking. "I don't have a problem." She responded with the most, I have a problem, attitude. "Was it Luca?" I thought back to how she was upset with him the other day. "Luca?" She turned to face me. "Yeah, do you like him or something?"

"Do I look like a teenager? I don't fight over men. I work for Luca on the side of town." My heart stopped. What kind of work? I thought to myself. "Oh, what do you do?"

"Why are you so interested in me?" She snapped. Just then the door swung open and the small bell chimed. Leah came running in from outside. She had been coloring with chalk outside. "Momma! Daddy's here!" Leah squealed. I looked past my daughter to see Luca walking along the dock. "Oh, so that's why you ran away." Delilah smirked. Another ding of the bell and Luca entered. "Hey, princess, I found you something." Luca handed Leah a sea shell. "Thank you! Where did you find it?" Leah admired her new gift. "I was swimming." He smiled at her. "Oh, Delilah, mom's order?" Delilah jumped up and headed to the back. "Yeah, give me a second." She responded. She grabbed a bag and began ringing him up on the register. "Lana, mom wants you to stop by tonight with Leah." Luca was now focused on me.

"What for?" I asked. "Dinner." he winked at Leah. "What do you think Leah?" "Yes!!" She skipped over to Luca, grabbing his hand. I was surprised that they both warmed up to each other so quickly but Leah was a lot like her father. "Momma, can I go on daddy's boat?" Leah hurried back to me to ask. I looked over to Luca unsure what to say. Leah can't swim and I'd rather she wasn't on a boat without me. But I didn't want to tell her no. For the first time in all four years of her life, she finally had a daddy and was thrilled. "Come on, both of you can come." Luca suggested as if he'd read my mind. "Please momma!" Leah begged. "Okay fine, let me talk to uncle Robbie first." I turned and headed to Robbie's office. I knocked once then stepped inside. Only, I'm not sure what I walked in on. Delilah sat on Robbie's desk facing him and Robbie had his hand resting on her thigh. They both cleared their throats as Delilah hopped down and left the office. "I didn't even see her come in here." I thought out loud. "Sorry." I quickly apologized. "It's fine, what's up?"

"Wait, are you guys a thing?" I quickly asked.

"No." "Yes."

"Which is it?" I broke out into a wide grin.

"I don't know, what's up?"

"Leah and I are going out with Luca on his boat. Wanted to make sure you didn't need me here."

"Nah, are you sure you'll be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Don't wait up though, we were invited to dinner."

"Just be careful and keep your phone on you." Robbie gave me a light smile. "I will." I returned the gesture. "You're entering the lion's den." Robbie mumbled as I turned to leave. I began to fill with panic as I noticed my daughter was nowhere to be seen. "Leah?" I walked around the store looking. "Leah?" I headed towards the front to look out the window. "Leah and Luca left." Delilah announced. My heart dropped. "Where did they go?" I scanned the area outside. "I don't know, they just left." Delilah shrugged. I quickly ran outside and began calling her. "LEAH!" I didn't see her anywhere. As I was about to dial Luca, I heard him call me. "Lana! Over here!" I turned to see him and Leah climbing on giant rock and boulders where the ocean crashed. The water would crash against the rocks, splashing Leah, as she giggled. "What the hell Luca!" I ran and grabbed Leah off the top of a large rock. It was the size of my body and I slipped a little climbing up to grab her. "Calm down Lana, she is fine." Luca sighed. "Are you stupid Luca?" Leah began to cry realizing I was mad. "You're upsetting her, stop." Luca motioned towards Leah. "Just leave me alone." I hurried to carry Leah back to Robbie's. "Where are you going? Stop!" Luca chased after us. He quickly grabbed my arm, snatching me around. Leah slipped from my arms, I gasped as she fell, but Luca extended his free hand and caught her in time.

"She was with me Lana, she was fine."

"Those rocks were too slippery for her to be climbing on. She could've hurt herself. And she can't swim, if she'd fallen in-"

"I would've gone in after her." Luca interrupted.

"I'm sorry momma!" Leah screamed.

"Leah." I tried to calm her.

"No. I'm sorry! I wasn't supposed to play by the water, I'm sorry!" I realized Luca and I fighting in front of her might be stressing her out. Not wanting to do it but knowing I needed to for Leah, I quickly turned to Luca and apologized. "I'm sorry Luca, I should've trusted you." Confusion filled his face as I motioned with my eyes towards Leah. Not really sure what was going on, he did the same. "I'm sorry Lana, I should've waited for you." Leah seemed to calm down watching us. Without warning, I wrapped my arms around Luca, and to my surprise, Leah joined in. This was very uncomfortable for me, but I knew Luca and I couldn't fight around Leah. She must be experiencing a lot of emotions right now having her life flipped upside down, we don't need to make it any harder. "Okay, everyone is better now. Next time we won't yell, we will just talk it out, deal?" I held my hand out to Leah. "Deal." She placed her little hand in mine. I wasn't sure how co-parenting would work with Luca. We could barely talk to each other. I didn't exactly like looking at him and being reminded of what happened between us. I knew the closer we got to Luca the more danger I was putting Leah in but I didn't know how to avoid it. Leah needs her father. Why did I ever tell her about him? Maybe I should've just left when I saw he was still around? But then again, maybe they are just here temporarily. "Are you guys ready?" Luca broke the silence. "Where are we going?" Leah asked excitedly. "I think it's time for your first swimming lesson if that's okay with you?" Luca smiled at Leah. She looked up at me happily. "Well, let's get going." I poked her, causing her to giggle. I couldn't say I was excited about this. I honestly am confused about what the hell I'm doing.