Prologue

Here we are again ... I'm embarking on a new journey of a fanfiction story. This time, we're going with a post-apocalyptic vibe. I recently watched The 100 on Netflix. I'd been intrigued to write a story based off that show/series of novels. I decided to write it for NaNoWriMo. I'm starting almost halfway through the month, but I'm determined to, at least, get something going.

In regard to how many chapters, update schedule and all that jazz, I'm not certain, but I'm hoping to get a big chunk written in the next fifteen days.

Nearly seventy-five years after the nuclear apocalypse, the residents of the Ark Station, orbiting the Earth, who are under the age of twenty-one are held in detention until they are of age if they commit a crime. If you're over the age of twenty-one, you're floated – a guaranteed death sentence. Regardless of the crime you commit ...

The Ark has reached its limit. Time is running out ...

What about sending those prisoners to the ground? Is the Earth survivable?

One this is for certain, families are the backbone of the Ark Station, and in time, May We Meet Again ...

May We Meet Again

Prologue ... How We Got Here ...

Bella

Sitting in my cell, I idly sketched on the bulkhead. I stared out the tiny porthole at the glittering blue orb we'd been circling for seventy-five years. I hated that I was in this cell. I was only telling the truth and my own fucking father tossed me in here.

What the hell?

The rules on the Ark Station were so harsh. My age was the only reason why I wasn't floated.

Floated? What is going on?

Oh, yeah, you all don't know the whole story.

In the year, 2063, the world went to shit. Complete and utter shit. War was looming and the planet was on the brink of mutual annihilation. The Chinese were fighting with the United States. The European Union was aligned with the states, while the Middle East and Russia agreed with China. Several other countries vowed neutrality, but got caught in the mess.

We don't know who fired first. But, long story short, on the evening of August 13th, all the nuclear bombs were launched, and the world became uninhabitable for human life.

The people on the surface, who were able to get to a bomb shelter, had a chance of survival. A slim chance, but a chance, nonetheless. It was all dependent on their survival skills and the ability to make their supplies last. If they had the means to replenish what they used, it was possible for them to survive the nuclear apocalypse. My father said that 'Doomsday Preppers' were the most likely to make it, but he said they were batshit crazy.

Our best chance of survival remained in orbit around our decimated little planet. When the bombs went off, there were thirteen stations circling Earth, conducting planetary research, or studying the stars. About a year after the bombs, the stations, with the exception of one, all joined to become one huge station. They needed to consolidate resources. So, the Ark Station was created.

Now, when the Ark was formed, they needed to create a ruling council. A representative from each station was elected to the ruling council. From that council, the first chancellor was appointed. After that, the chancellor was elected through popular vote every five years.

In the Ark, room was finite. When things got bad, the ruling council wanted to incarcerate the criminals and try to rehabilitate them. However, they didn't have enough space. It was one of the founding counselors, who had worked in the penal system on Earth before things went to shit, that recommended we float offenders. It was harsh and cruel, but it curtailed crime on the Ark. Until a sixteen-year-old girl was arrested for stealing medicine for her sick mother.