Chapter 6 Marigold

Finn was true to his word. A few minutes after he left, Gamma Stone knocked on the door, cracking it open and peeking his head through,

"Can I come in?" He asked.

"Yes, okay." I mumbled. Stone entered the room and shut the door securely behind him.

"Well Fox is off to your realm." Stone said, perching himself on the edge of the bed.

"Why do you call him that?" I asked, standing on the opposite side of the room.

"What, Fox?" Stone asked. I nodded silently.

"Oh that's just always been his nickname. Nobody calls him Finn unless it's official Alpha business." Stone shrugged.

"How did he get it?" I tried to imagine what would give someone the nickname of Fox.

"It's his initials, Finn Oxford." Stone explained.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense." I muttered.

"You know, he really is a great guy." Stone said.

"Right, and you're not biased as his Gamma or anything?" I replied snarkily.

"Well, I'm also his best friend and brother-in-law so I wear lots of hats." Stone shrugged again, this time wearing a smerik.

"You're his brother-in-law?" I asked, surprised.

"His twin sister, Ferra, is my mate," Stone said. I remembered hearing Finn say that name before and wondered why the Gamma's mate and Alpha's sister would have anything to do with the pack affairs,

"She's also the Beta." Stone added and I could practically feel my eyes bulging from my head.

"What?"

"Yeah, Fox didn't think it was fair that he was going to be automatically given the title of Alpha just because he was the male, since he and Ferra were born at the same time. He actually wanted to compete for the rank with her, but Ferra isn't the Alpha type. She doesn't play well with others," Stone chuckled, thinking about his mate,

"So, she conceded the title to Fox and he made her his Beta."

"A female Beta?" I said in awe.

"This," Stone gestured his hand around the room,

"Isn't how most packs are run where we come from and it's absolutely nothing like how our pack is structured." I was speechless, I didn't know what to say.

"You would be treated like a Queen in our pack if you came home with Finn." Stone added. I eyed him skeptically, realizing that he was trying to not so subtly convince me to stay with his Alpha.

"I'm not convinced he'll succeed with my father, anyway." I said, avoiding Stone's unasked question.

"Oh, you don't know Fox." Stone laughed.

"And you don't know my father." I countered,

"The only thing my father wants more than power is me out of his kingdom. I've been with three different wolf packs since I was 13 years old, jumping from Alpha to Alpha as my father found stronger packs to make bargains with."

"Since you were thirteen?" Stone asked in disgust.

"Yeah, since my mother died. I've come to terms with my life a long time ago, Gamma Stone. One day I'll end up becoming the Luna of the most powerful pack my father can find to make a deal with and be the surrogate for a bunch of little fae-wolf hybrid babies." I explained without emotion.

"That's disturbing," Stone scrunched up his face like he smelt something bad,

"Fox won't let that happen."