Chapter Six

I wake up the next morning with a bad case of hangover. I'd forgotten how annoying hangovers were.

Luckily for me, the babysitter is still present and she helps prepare Lucas for school.

I don't get up until I hear a knock on the door. I groan. "Don't come in."

The person comes in anyway and I open my eyes slowly when I hear the light footsteps coming toward me. It's Lucas. "Hi, mommy."

I sigh internally, hoping he doesn't ask questions that I can't give the answer to. "Hi, baby."

"I picked out my outfit myself." He grins proudly. He's putting on a grey undershirt, grey shorts, and a blue striped flannel shirt, complemented with his blue converse. I chuckle. He does have an eye for good things.

"You did, didn't you?"

Lucas frowns at my lack of enthusiasm and peers down at me. "Are you sick?"

"Something like that. Don't worry, I'll be okay."

He looks at me like he doesn't believe me and leans down to place a kiss on my forehead. "Feel better."

I can't help but smile at the gesture. Even if everything in my life is going to shit, I know I have one good thing going for me.

I only sit up when Lucas leaves for school and try to recall what happened yesterday. I remember meeting a man that bought me drinks. I also remember telling him about Shawn and his mate. I wasn't in the right state of mind to drive so he put me in a taxi.

Fuck, I'll have to go back to the club to get my car.

I stand up to go take my bath when I see an odd piece of paper on my nightstand. Picking it up, I realize it's a card. A company card. I scrunch up my face in confusion. Why do I have a— oh! Gabriel gave me a card yesterday and instructed me to email them my resume.

You can imagine that I abandon the idea of refreshing up. Immediately, I pick up my laptop and go straight to my email.

Double H Tech.

It is such a strange name for a company. More so, I wonder what kind of job they'll have for me in a tech company, but I don't dwell on it. If he believed I could get a job there, it won't hurt to try.

Seeing that I've been writing a lot of application letters these last few weeks, I quickly whip one from my samples as my brain is not in the right condition to think properly and attach my resume before hitting send.

Only then do I make my way into the bathroom.

I waste a lot of time showering since I don't have much to do anyway. I won't be going out to search for more jobs and if Double H Tech doesn't respond, I'll have no choice but to contact my parents.

I grit my teeth at the thought, but I have to remind myself that I am doing it for my son's future and nothing else.

After showering, I dress up and leave my room to see that Hilda, Lucas' babysitter, has already cleaned the house. It's not part of her job description, but she does it whenever I'm sick or hungover which increases her payment.

She's a nice girl who finished high school last year but is taking a leap year to scrap some money together. Like me, she's also trying to get herself together.

When I enter the kitchen, there's breakfast of eggs and toast waiting for me and I mentally thank Hilda for it before scarfing down the food.

I sigh when I'm done. I've never been this idle. I don't know what to do with all this free time. I don't have any friends that I can call to hang out with since it's a Thursday and a working day nor do I have anything to do.