Part 29 (We're All Infected)

After driving non-stop for a few hours, Rick honked his car's horn, signalling for everyone to stop. He and the others got out of the cars and gathered at the front. CJ unwrapped her arms from around Daryl and climbed off the back of the bike, taking her shotgun off her shoulder to lean against it.

"You out?" Daryl asked.

"Runnin' on fumes," Rick told him.

"We can't stay here," Maggie said, shaking her head.

"We'll have to make a run for some gas in the morning," Rick stated.

"I'm freezing," Carl spoke up as he shivered with his hands in his pockets. Rick quickly took his jacket off and wrapped it around Carl.

"We'll build a fire," Lori said.

"If you go out lookin' for firewood, stay close. Only got so many arrows," Daryl pointed out. "How you doing on ammo?"

"Not enough," Rick replied.

"We can't just sit here with our asses hangin' out," Maggie sighed.

"Watch your mouth," Hershel told Maggie. "Everyone stop panicking and listen to Rick."

"We set up a perimeter," Rick began. "In the morning we'll find some gas and supplies."

"Glenn and I can go for a run now, try and scrounge up some gas?" Maggie suggested.

"No," Rick argued. "We stay together. God forbid something happens and people get stranded without a car."

"Rick, we're stranded now," CJ countered as she pulled her jacket tighter around her chest, crossing her arms to try and warm up.

"It looks bad, I know. We've all been through hell and worse, but at least we found each other," Rick said as he looked around at the group. "I wasn't sure, I really wasn't. But we did. We're together, we keep it that way. We'll find shelter, there's gotta be a place."

"Rick... look around," Glenn said with a sigh. "There's walkers everywhere, they're migrating or something."

"There's gotta be a place," Rick repeated pointedly. "Not just where we hold up but that we can fortify, hunker down. Build a life."

"Even if we do find a place we think is safe, we can never be sure for how long," Maggie argued. "We fooled ourselves into thinking the farm was safe."

"We won't make that mistake again," Hershel responded quickly.

Rick looked around, scanning the area past the road until his eyes landed on some kind of stone structure. "We'll make camp over there. Get on the road at the break of day."

"But what if walkers come through?" Beth asked worriedly. "Or another group, like Randall's?"

"Rick, you know how we found Randall, right?" Daryl asked.

"He was a walker, he had turned. But he wasn't bit," CJ explained.

"How is that possible?" Beth asked her.

"Rick, what the hell happened out there?" Lori questioned, taking a step towards her husband.

"Shane killed Randall," CJ replied. "Just like he wanted too from the beginning."

"And... and then the herd got him?" Lori asked.

Rick hesitated for a moment, looking straight ahead, trying to avoid eye contact with all of them. "We're all infected."

"What?" Daryl asked after a short moment of silence.

"Jenner told me, at the CDC," Rick replied. "Whatever it is, we all carry it."