Part 85 (Now or Never)

Daryl chose to leave the picture of CJ in his cell; his clothes had no pockets, and he didn't want to lose it. He had read and reread the words over and over again ever since it was given to him. It looked like her handwriting, but he still couldn't let himself fully believe that it was really her that wrote it. He couldn't get his hopes up and he couldn't be seen to be weak or break down around Negan's men. So, he had to act like the picture and the note hadn't affected him, when really, it had sent his mind racing.

He had been dragged out of his cell by Dwight to be put to work on the fence, being given nothing but a blunt stick to fight against the chained-up walkers to keep them riled up. The task itself was bullshit, but it got him out of the cell for a few hours, so he wasn't bothered.

He focussed on what he was doing, not paying much attention to the Saviors that were working around him. He saw a few trucks pull up and saw Simon (the right-hand man) get out of the first one. He began barking orders at the other men, and Daryl averted his gaze, knowing he'd be punished for eavesdropping.

But then, quick gunfire came from the direction of the trucks, and he spun around to see Carl of all people, standing in the back of one of the trucks, having gunned down several men with a rifle. Daryl's eyes widened and he moved away from the walkers, putting his hands on the fence as he watched the unexpected scene play out.

"Stay back! Drop your weapons!" Carl yelled at the Saviors, pointing the gun around at all of them. "I only want Negan. He took my aunt and killed my friends. No one else needs to die."

As he spoke, Negan came sauntering over to the trucks, whistling with a smirk. Carl pointed the gun right at him, staring him down like he wasn't afraid.

"Damn," Negan muttered as he walked through his men. "You are adorable!" He put his hand on one of his men's shoulders and pushed him to stand in front of him, using him as a human shield. "Did you pick that gun 'cause it looks cool? You totally did, right? Kid... I ain't gonna lie, you scare the shit outta me."

One of the Saviors stepped toward Carl, and he reacted by firing the rifle, shooting the man in his chest several times.

Dwight tackled Carl to the ground, and the two of the fought as Dwight managed to take the gun away and point it at Carl's head.

"Dwight," Negan called over. "Back off."

Dwight moved away, and Carl looked over to the fence, making eye contact with a worried Daryl. Negan stood over to Carl and smiled down at him, holding his hand out to him.

"Is that any way to treat our new guest?" Negan kidded. "Come on, kid. I'll show you around."

Shuffling nervously on his feet, Daryl nearly got grabbed by a walker. He quickly ducked down as one of the other prisoners grabbed the walker's chain and pulled it away. Once he had gathered himself and was able to get back to watching what was happening just a few feet away from him, Negan was still stood holding his hand out for Carl to take, whilst Carl looked up at him with a glare.

"You know, you do the same damn stick-eye as your dad, except it's only half as good because, well you know, you're missin' an eye," he chuckled. Carl still refused to respond or move. "Really? You really not gonna take my hand? 'Cause you're lucky you still even have a hand."

"Same as your boy Daryl over here, now that I think about it." Negan looked around to Daryl with a sly grin. "How's the job goin', Daryl? Hot enough for you? Hell, it'd be tough with one arm. Still, at least you got your super-hot gal-pal to keep you company. Oh no, wait. You don't," he added mockingly with a laugh.

Ignoring the death glare from Daryl, Negan looked back down at Carl and held his hand out to him once again. Carl hesitated for a moment before reaching up and taking Negan's hand, pulling himself up off the ground.