02 | trouble

0 2

 t r o u b l e

LUNE

PHYSICS ALWAYS HAD a way of reminding me of Chemistry.

The course I'd taken a year before.

     But I didn't enjoy chemistry as much as physics. Except there was one small thing since the beginning. A thing that kept nagging in the back of my head until it became something big. The thing I had yet to ask Ms. Gillian about even as our last day of school came.

     If our character as we know it are personifications of physics. If even something so abstract as our personality could be created by abstract atoms. Atoms of past experiences, shards from people, and the blueprint of our environment. Could that be the key to people? Could it have such a simple answer but still be so complicated?

     The bell interrupted Ms. Gillian who sighed. Only a few stayed behind. The rest rushed past her, so energetic at the screech which announced the end of their last 4 hours.

          "They barely even had a half-day," I heard Ms. Gillian mumble as I approached her.

     We were both startled by the door slamming open as more eager students filtered out. She exhaled, placing a hand over her startled heart. Then she looked at me expectantly. My lips remained glued shut while I tried to figure out a way to word my question. It should've been ready, I scolded myself.

          But I folded under the pressure of her waiting gaze. "Actually, I just wanted to let you know I'd miss you."

          "Aww," her hand braced her chest once again. A touched expression painted over her face. "Don't tell the others— not that they'd care. But you're one of my favorites."

     Ms. Gillian opened her arms wide for a hug and I stepped into her embrace. I leaned my head against her shoulder as it smelled of pine and spices; the fall that was yet to come. "Don't be afraid to call me. The other teachers will miss you too, I'm sure."

          She stepped away with tears in her eyes. "Ugh. I promised myself I wouldn't cry. But you guys are like my kids," a trembling laugh shook through her lips. "Promise to see me next year?"

          "Yeah," my eyes darted all over her face, knowing she couldn't have kids. "I'll come see you."

         "Lune!" It was Melanie. She stood in the doorway with tussled hair. "Come on."

          "Uh, I guess I have to go," I looked toward Ms. Gillian.

     She sniffled while wiping her nose, nodding. Her laughs weren't convincing and neither was her insistence that I leave. But I walked out of the classroom regardless.

          "What do you want?" I tried not to snap at Melanie.

          "Geez," she raised her hands in a placating motion. "I wanted to let you know that the team wanted a game. Since the football team didn't need it today, anyway."

               "I can't make it."

               "What? Come on, you know the team wants to hang out with you."