16

|Reassurance and unsteadiness|
|Keegan Bierman|
|Thursday|

Oh well. My assignment is complete. Time to meet with Zariah, hopefully I have answers for her. I concluded my evening jog to the pearl gardens. I found Zariah sitting on one of the benches.

"Hi there gorgeous." I smiled at her. She waved at me.

"Hi there." She greeted. I sat next to her. We shared a moment of silence.

"I admit you are quite strong. I was just processing our conversation and I just want you to know that you don't need to worry about the past repeating itself."

"How can you be sure?"

"The same way you are sure everytime you show me physical affection." I gave her a lopsided smile and she just blushed, "I genuinely hate hurting people or I don't want to see people hurt. You can trust me."

"You know...I did not think I would actually open up.."

"A woman of secrets never tells her tales until it gets too much to handle,aye?" I looked at her.

"Alvira also tells me the same thing."

"Oh? Great minds think alike. I hear that you went through some stuff but sometimes it's okay to peep out your guarded walls."

"You make it sound so easy." She leaned back and looked at the night sky.

"It's all about mindset Zari. Nothing is ever easy..." I mumbled the last part, holding myself up.

She sighed. I moved a bit closer, "May I?" I gestured my arm. She nodded.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She laid her head on my chest.

"...it's a scary world." She broke her silence.

"You can say that again,but does that mean hide?"

"No...it's just - people are different. You never know their true intentions. What if it is all a lie?"

"If it is then why are we having this conversation of reassurance?"

"To make me feel better?" She said softly.

"I knew things like this get in that big forehead." We both chuckled, "Not only that. I want you to know that sometimes you need to speak upon certain things. If you don't then how do you get help? At times, pride needs to take a step down..."

We continued to speak about furthermore things. I liked this side of her. She's open and observarte . I really thought she was narrow-minded turns out I may have been wrong. I grew fond of her, I wish she could be like this - to be open...well not too open but I mean break out of isolation. I just felt happy.

I dropped her off at the apartment block then made my way to the dorm. To my surprise when I opened the door, I caught Paxton and Avery...talking over a glass of wine?

"Fancy." I smiled. I waved at Avery who also waved.

"Shut up, Keegan."

"Ayee sorry, where is Kaesandra?"

"In her room."

I gave her a thumbs up and knocked on Kaes' door. All I heard was giggles. I cringed my face. Is everyone in love here!?

"Come in." I heard Everett's voice.

I opened the door and covered my eyes with the other hand.

"Why are you covering your eyes?" Kaes asked, "Reveal them na"

I removed my hand from my eyes. Oh wow, Kaes has a lovely room. It's simple and has a hint of nature in here. It's bright, along with fairy lights. That rhymes! They were sitting on a small couch. Looks like they had a pillow fight. Everret threw the pillow at Kaes who just giggled.

"Ew. Couple goals." I teased.

"Please, don't make your problems ours." Kaes sassed and we both laughed.

"Everret is such a fucking simp." I said aggressively, he threw his middle finger.

"Maybe that's because I know how to approach ladies."

"Ladies? I thought kaes is your first and last." I smirked.

"Hope you rot in hell."

"See you there soldier." I arched my eyebrow and looked around, "Odd seeing you here. You're usually within the shadows. What's up?."

He gave me a nervous smile, "Yknow I have been working for your ancestors in the fields." He joked. I am shook but I laughed. Kaes just kept herself quiet.

"If I say something I'll get an offence letter, hmm?" I smiled at him.

"Shoot me."

"Those ears sure compliment the ape age you come from." We both broke into laughter, I couldn't contain it.

"No wonder you are so pale, Massa's daughter."

"Okay Harriet Tubman." I rolled my eyes.

"You've gotten better, huh?" He said. Oh, so he is brushing me off?

"Only for you?" I bit my lip and winked, then ran my tongue over my lower lip, "Moisturiser?" I asked and Kaes handed me hers which I applied on my lips.

"I think I need to leave...I'll see you later babe." He kissed Kaes on the lips, "And I'll see you whe– in the morro' ?" He didn't give me a chance to answer, he grabbed his backpack and he left us. I pushed up my glasses and looked at Kaes.

"You were going to ask about him?" She got up and started fixing up her room. I crossed my arms.

"I love how you read me oya." I said. She snorted.

"Make it sound more African not so Spanish based." She adjusted her pillows.

"I'll learn, anyways. What's up?"

She sighed, "I do not want to break the moment. I'll tell you when the time is right...just...just know" She lowered her voice, "it's getting hectic."

I arched my eyebrow, "You don't say"

"Eh heh. You and Zariah?"

"Let's sit.."

|Everret Abessolo|

I am glad I escaped before she could ask me too many questions. Truly, I would be ashamed. No man should show his weakness to the eyes of the public but his woman. I walked to basketball courts. For you guys. I approached the boss who was waiting in the dark area. I could tell by the cloud of cigarette smoke.

"You got the money sonny?", ??? Asked...I swallowed my saliva. "Are you deaf boy??"

"Y-n- yes" Truth is...I don't have it.