Chapter Thirteen

In the evening, Carmen, Banks, and Cohen came to us. The boys carried guitars with them, which they leaned against the caravan. Carmen put the bags of food on the table.

"Fried chicken wings, breaded chicken thighs, French fries, Spicy potatoes," she said as she brought out the boxes one by one. "And, especially for Savi—two servings of onion rings!"

"You're great, Carmen!" I exclaimed and instantly lifted the lid and took one ring. "Mm!"

I heard giggles from around me as I chewed loudly. "Hey, don't laugh at me," I said, swallowing. "Do you know how delicious they are?"

"We know," Cohen confirmed. "It's kind of a specialty here." He finished with a chuckle.

"Then eat before I eat them all!" 

I reached into the box again and took out another ring, but this time I turned to Jayden and held it to his mouth. He bit off half, and I ate the other half. I licked my fingers afterward.

"Aww, look how cute they are," Carmen exclaimed.

I turned back to her with a slightly uncomfortable look while Jayden wrapped his arms around my waist. "Don't be jealous, Carmen," he told her jokingly.

"I'm not envious at all. Well, maybe..." She held her forefinger just above her thumb "...just a little bit."

We all laughed. Meanwhile, Banks, who had gone into the caravan, returned with five beers and handed one to each person.

"For Evelyn," we all said in unison, raising bottles aloft.

Cohen nodded to Jayden. "Let's light a fire."

The two of them went to the side of the caravan, stacked sticks on top of each other, and after around a few minutes, small flames were playfully bouncing and scattering orange light.

"Come on, girls." Banks picked up the two guitars, and we joined Jayden and Cohen.

They all sat down on the ground by the fire. I stood upright for a few seconds, contemplating whether to join the others on the grass. But I had already eaten with my fingers, hadn't I? Why not sit on the ground?

Jayden pulled me close, brushed my hair aside, and rested his chin on my shoulder. His arms encircled me.

"This was Evelyn's favorite song," Banks said, slinging the guitar strap over his shoulder.

The skin on my arms tingled when his fingers touched the strings. Every chord told a story. It created life. A whole world. A melody of fear. Melody of hope. A memory of the past, longing for the future.

A spark of love.

Under the endless night sky, a shower of stars. Shadows in the dark, defeated by the light. A tale told without wordsa tenderness, out of reality.

A sound carrying a soul within itself.

A few minutes with goosebumps.

The guitar's tears continued to flow long after it fell silent.

"For Evelyn!" Jayden whispered.

"For Evelyn," we all repeated after him.

"Banks, that was amazing!" I said, still feeling like I was floating in the world his music had transported me to.

"Thanks, Savi," he replied.

"And this one is for Jayden and his girl," Cohen said as he slung his guitar over his shoulder too.

Jayden started laughing, resting his forehead on my shoulder.

"Dance! Dance! Dance!" Carmen and the boys began to shout as the music resumed.