Chapter Fifteen

"Savi. Savi, wake up."

"What?"

I opened my eyes startled, in the middle of the night, barely able to focus on Jayden standing by the window.

"Shh." He gestured with his finger. "Quiet. Come here." He pulled a curtain aside as I approached. "Look."

Regardless of the darkness outside, I could focus on a huge torso moving on all fours in the distance.

"My God! It's a bear! A real bear!" I exclaimed. "What... What are we going to do?"

"Shh. Don't worry. It's okay."

"How am I supposed not to worry?" Only then I noticed the large rifle Jayden was holding behind his back. "If it's okay, what's that for?"

"Oh, this?" He held the rifle up in front of him. "Just in case."

As we talked, the bear approached the cabin.

"I'm going to wet myself! And I don't even care that I'm saying it out loud!"

"Savi, calm down. I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to show her to you. It's not often one gets to observe such a beautiful animal so closely."

"Beautiful? I'm sure you mean creepy."

"She's not a monster, Savi. She must be hungry and looking for food."

"She? How do you know it is female?"

Jayden turned his head to me and shrugged. "I'm guessing."

"Great. Now, why don't you come up with a name for her?"

"Gummy. I think it suits her."

"Really? Like a gummy bear? Jayden!" I hit him on the shoulder with the back of my hand. "Jellies are sweet and tiny." I brought my thumb and forefinger no more than an inch apart. "And this bear is huge!"

"Come on." He took my hand, and we moved to the other window.

The bear was now clearly visible, circling only a few meters from the cabin. She seemed calm. She walked slowly and clumsily.

"It is—"

"Exciting?" Jayden said.

"Well...yeah. But still—"

"She's outside; we're inside. Take it easy."

I clung to Jayden's free arm, and the two of us continued to move from window to window to watch the majestic animal. At times, the bear came so close to the cabin that I felt like I could touch it if I had just reached through the glass.

Strangely enough, my fear gradually subsided. Whether it was because of the rifle in Jayden's hand or just because of his presence, but I felt safe.

After the animal left as peacefully as it had come, Jayden and I returned to the fireplace, snuggled between the blankets, and fell asleep again.

***

In the morning, I woke up first. I got up quietly and went to the kitchenette. I grabbed as many cans as possible and tiptoed out of the cabin. I looked nervously left and right as I walked. After about twenty meters, I crouched down and began to open the cans one by one.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped, startled, dropping the food from my hands. "Jayden! You scared the shit out of me!"

He groaned as he reached up in a stretch. "I still don't understand what you're doing with those cans."

I crouched down again and opened the last one. "I'm leaving some food for Gummy."