Chapter Twenty-Nine

All eyes were on the door that slammed open while the bike pulled into the house. It stopped in the middle of the living room.

The guests stepped back. But Dominic didn't move. Nor I. I stared into those beautiful eyes I hadn't believed I would ever see again.

Jayden propped one foot on the floor. "Sorry for being late. It looks like my invitation got lost in the mail."

"Mechanics don't fit in here," Dominic said haughtily. "Out of my house! Or I'll call the police. I'll send you the bill for the door."

"Deduct it from what you owe me for my burnt garage," Jayden replied.

There was silence. No one dared say anything. No one dared to move.

Only Sebastian walked over to us, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

Dominic stopped his father with a gesture with his hand. "I'll deal with him." He turned to Jayden and took a step forward toward him. "I don't know what you are talking about. Get out of my house now!"

The engine growled, making everyone jump. The tires moved back and forth.

Dominic stepped back.

"Easy. I'm leaving," Jayden told him seriously, then looked at me with a small smile. "But not alone."

Don't! Don't! My mind was screaming.

But against my will, my fingers latched onto the necklace and pulled hard. I dropped it at Dominic's feet, and as if in slow motion, I rushed towards Jayden. I jumped into the seat and wrapped my arms around him.

"Savannah!" Dominic screamed.

Jayden revved the engine and did a 180-degree turn.

"Savannah, stop!" Dominic continued to scream.

I removed the ring from my finger, turned back, and flung it at him.

"You'll be sorry! Both of you! I'm going to burn your little town to the ground!" Dominic's hysterical screams echoed behind us while Jayden and I drove off at full throttle.

We rode furiously through the streets of the Boston suburbs.

"Jayden, why aren't you at the hospital?" I shouted to be heard.

"I discharged myself," he replied calmly, focused on the road.

"You were in a coma until a few days ago!"

"A medicated coma."

"You could have died!" I hugged him even tighter and rested my head on his back. "I thought I was going to lose you."

Somewhere on the road, Jayden pulled over, got off the bike, and stood in front of me. He tucked a few strands of hair that escaped from my updo behind my ears.

"This is crazy, Jayden! Dominic will... I don't even want to imagine what he will do."

"It was crazy to walk away from me, Savi. I told you I love you." Jayden was silent for a moment, then repeated, "I told you I love you." He rested his forehead on mine. "That means I will protect you until my last breath." His finger passed over my lips. "I love you, Savi, in a way I didn't know existed. I'd rather die than leave you in the hands of that son of a bitch."

I squeezed my eyes shut, tears welling up again as Jayden's lips lightly brushed mine.

"Did he hurt you?" he asked quietly.

"No."

"That's all that matters."

His hands cupped my face. His eyes stared at me, and his lips moved to mines, which were slightly parted, burning in anticipation.