Chapter Twenty

I harnessed all my strength to ignore Dominic's words. I walked down the corridor as confidently as I could.

"Joshua McNamara. This is serious," Peter Newland said as we walked into the elevator.

"Does the lawyer matter? Dominic is blackmailing me. Does he have the right to do that?"

"Of course not. But the power is on his side. It will be difficult, Mrs. Lewis."

"Have you given up on the case already?"

"No." Peter Newland put a hand on my shoulder. "We will fight. And if we do not reach a mutual agreement, we will take more serious measures in court."

His words sounded reassuring, but at the same time, they did not reassure me at all.

But another question started ringing in my head after we stepped outside the building. It was so loud that it was almost able to banish thoughts of the ring. What did Dominic mean with his last words?

I got in the car and looked at Jayden. His eyes instantly stared back into mine. Gentle and warm. Eyes of an angel. Not to a criminal.

"Well? What happened?" His voice was caressing and sensitive. Voice of an angel. Not to a criminal.

"Dominic wants me to give him back my wedding ring, and he will sign the papers."

"This sounds good."

"Yes. If I hadn't sold it."

"Yeah, that's not good. But we can buy it back. Where did you sell it? At Gustavo's pawnshop?"

"Yes, I think. I don't know the owner's name. But I don't have enough money to buy it back. I sold it for $5,000, but something tells me the man would want a higher price for it after I told him it was worth $500,000."

"Looks like he made the deal of a lifetime. You literally gave it to him."

"I didn't have a choice—I had to survive. And I didn't think clearly at all that day."

"Okay. We'll figure something out. Gustavo is a tough negotiator, but I've repaired his car. He owes me." Jayden stroked my chin. "Come on, Savi. Smile. We're going straight to the pawn shop."

I pursed my lips. They refused to smile. I took a deep breath and looked out the window.

I was silent on the way. I was thinking. Not about the ring. I was thinking about Jayden. I had only known him for a little more than a month. But I didn't really know anything about him. Was it possible that what Dominic said was true?

"Savi. Savi. What's going on?" Jayden asked me worriedly.

I didn't turn to him. I continued to look out the window. "Nothing. I'm worried. That's all."

"Okay," he replied, but there was a hint of disbelief in his voice.

I looked at my watch. We had been traveling for about an hour, but it seemed like forever.

"Jayden, stop the car," I suddenly said.

"What?"

"Just stop the car."

"We're in the middle of a country road, Savi. There's nowhere to stop."

"I don't care. Stop!"

"Okay. Okay." Jayden slowed down and turned the wheel to the right. The tires left the road, and the car stopped on uneven ground. "What's going on?"

I got out of the car, walked to the front, and rested my hands on the hood. My eyes were right on Jayden's behind the glass.

He also got out of the car and stood next to me. "Savi. Talk to me."