Chapter Twelve

LIFE WAS SURELY funny. After finally deciding to step out of my comfort zone and try out something I've always been scared to do, life messed it up at the dime minute.

Haha, life, very funny. In fact, you should be a comedian.

I stared at my phone screen, rereading the text message I sent to Thomas the previous evening. I had so beautifully crafted my excuse for not being able to make it to the long-awaited group date.

'I'm sorry, Tom. I'm working overtime tomorrow. I'll make it up to you, I swear.'

I couldn't do any better than that, could I?

After brainstorming for hours just to draft that text and mutter up enough courage to send it, he still hadn't replied. Even worse, he had read it— twenty two hours ago.

Annabelle made one last turn at the T-junction and drove along the free road. The sky was clear but the orange hue was slowly turning dark to inform everyone that it was evening time. Loud music filled the air and Annabelle could not help but sing along as she sped her car down the street.

I read the text I sent to Thomas once more, then turned to Annabelle, "He must be very annoyed."

"Well, you did cancel your date with him at the last minute," she said, stepping on the accelerator.

I stared at my phone, "But it's not my fault."

"Did you explain what happened to him?"

"I did, see!" I said, almost shoving my phone's screen into her face.

"Wendy, I'm driving right now," she said, only glancing at the screen.

I dropped the phone back on my laps and held my head, "I explained to him, so why is he still mad at me?"

"For the first time in my life and most likely the last too, I'm on Thomas's side on this one. It's not that I'm saying you're at fault but the guy's been anticipating this group date for quite some time now. No matter how important the thing you had to cancel the date for is, he's still going to feel bad that you can't go with him."

"So, when will he stop being mad at me? It's been over twenty hours since he left my message read."

"I can't anwer that question. I'm not a soothsayer," she pulled over in front of the cafe, "I'd just advise you to keep sending apology texts."

"Thanks for dropping me off," I said, gloomily getting down from the car.

"Don't mention it, darling. Remember to eat the fruit salad I made you."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, yeah."

"Ja ne!" She waved from inside the car, laughing.

I shut the door and strolled into the cafe with the bell jingling softly. Adrian was behind the counter, shuffling between attending to the customers and preparing their orders. Not once did he look like he was in a hurry but he surprisingly managed to serve the customers' orders on time.

He sure was dedicated.

"Hey," I heard him say, just as I walked past him on the counter.