Chapter 10

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE seeing Art!" Avery smiled at Auntie Jenny after placing her carry-on in the overhead bin.

The trip to D.C. was the graduation gift our parents gave to us. But, of course, they wouldn't allow it if Art's mom wasn't with us. It calmed me, too, knowing we were going with Auntie Jenny.

"Are you excited?" Avery pinched my side.

I sighed. "A little." I looked away, not wanting to meet her eyes.

"You don't have to lie to me, you know." Avery's cheek was now on mine. "I know you're excited and nervous too."

I glanced at Auntie Jenny, ensuring our conversation was out of her earshot.

"I feel like I'm more nervous than excited."

Avery rolled her eyes. "Don't worry too much. I've heard he never looked at anyone since he moved to D.C.

I took a deep breath. "But it doesn't mean Art wanted to see me after everything."

"It's been two years, Shells." Avery squeezed my hand. "We're eighteen now."

"That's what worries me. It had been two years, and he never came back to see us even as his friends."

Avery pouted and winked at me. "Duh! Because he didn't want to be friends with you."

As always, my best friend never fails to put a smile on my face. Despite my nervousness, her statement gave me hope.

But being reminded about it, Art not coming home for two years, made me lose whatever hope I had regarding us. No calls, messages, or greetings on special occasions, even on my eighteenth birthday.

He forgot what we had planned, that he would be my escort at my debut party. But it was a blessing in disguise. I didn't have the party mood in me anyways. So it was easier to convince my mom that I would save all the money for this trip instead of spending it on a lavish party. And Auntie Jenny was so helpful in convincing my mom and Avery's parents that we take this trip with her.

***

It took us an hour and forty-five minutes from Boston Logan to Washington D.C, but I felt like the travel time happened in just a blink. I was excited to see Art but also nervous about how we would react to each other when we got face-to-face.

Before my mind could further daydream about Art, Avery quietly pulled me towards a restroom.

"I heard Auntie Jenny telling my mom on the phone that Art would come to pick us up."

Avery brought out her makeup kit. Without a word, she started retouching my face with powder and finished it by putting a baby pink gloss on my lips. Then, she handed me a hairbrush as she fixed her hair and put her makeup kit inside her bag.

"Do we have to do this?" I looked at her in the mirror. "Nothing much changed." I bit my lip. "I'm sure Art won't see me any different now."

Avery tugged my hair in exaggeration. "You should always come prepared! Our goal is to make him regret and realize how prettier you'd turned from two years ago." She looked around and whispered, "to make him see how fuckable you blossomed into."

I tugged Avery's hair hard. "Crazy!"

She flipped her hair and rolled her eyes at me. "Call me crazy, but if you think my suggestions were boring, why don't you forget your feelings for Art? Instead, let's enjoy this trip as three best friends' adventure."

"I can't just grow another heart." I shook my head. "You knew how much I've tried."

Avery nodded. "I know. I'm just kidding. That's why we must ensure this trip will be worth the wait."