Chapter 26

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE here! I thought..."

My soft sniffles turned into uncontrollable sobs. I couldn't control my body from shaking. Art lifted me slowly, made me sit on the bed, and pulled me into a tight embrace. "I'm here now. What you thought was wrong, and making you feel that way was stupid of me."

I shook my head multiple times. "It was my fault. Your reaction and your feelings were valid." I lifted my chin and looked at the man who always caused my heart to beat fast and loud. "I hurt you," I whispered.

Art gently wiped my tears as he said my name in whispers. "You can never hurt me." He cupped my face and looked me in the eye. "I was worried sick and reacted badly." I clasped my hand on his. "I hurt you, but you hurt me too. How can you not talk to me for a month? You made me think that you don't care."

Art nodded. "And I'm so sorry for doing that. I wanted to call to talk to you and see your face very badly. But if I saw you for one more time, I knew I would take the next flight back." His lips were on mine in a swift motion, gentle and soft. "You have no idea how hard it was for me. But I had to. Every day, I tell myself one month, and I'll be with you."

Art's lips on mine erased all the doubts and fears that had lingered in my mind for the past four weeks. It wasn't just a kiss. It was our love language. All his devotion and concern streamed into the kiss. And when I kissed him back, it poured all the longing and apologies I'd kept for months.

"Get a room, you guys! It's too early to expose my godchild into this mockery!" Avery's voice echoed in the room. "You don't want to make out in front of the baby watching you from the ultrasound monitor!" Auntie Jenny and the doctor's laughter followed.

***

Seeing Art in the clinic, feeling his touch, and savoring his kiss made all the months of waiting and anxiety worth it. From the OB visit to our Connecticut apartment, Art wasted no time explaining what happened after our last phone call. He was supposed to tell me their Munich lab enlisted him for a three-month collaboration/research at MIT LAB. So, instead of wallowing in regrets and blame, he finished and completed everything he needed for his flight to Boston. He confirmed his mom had been giving him updates from my daily routine to my doctor's appointments.

On our first night back together, Art checked the baby book Avery and I prepared. His eyes glistened, looking at my first ultrasound picture. It amazed him, touching my very pregnant belly. And as if the precious human inside me knew a father's touch, they made quite a spectacular exhibition of multiple somersaults and kicks. Art couldn't contain his excitement and disbelief.

His hands were all over my stomach. He wanted to feel all the baby's movements, big and small. I couldn't believe he was here with me, that we were both feeling and talking to our baby. If I could paint happiness, it would be Art's face. And if I had one wish, that is to keep him happy always.

The first week since Art arrived, we got into a routine. He stayed with us in the campus apartment and drove back and forth to MIT for his five hours on weekday assignments. As expected, he cared for me, from food prep, vitamins, and daily pregnancy reminders. It was everything I dreamed of. Since he arrived, I felt his care and love confirmed what I knew: Art would be a great father.

As a mother, I would want nothing for my child but to experience a father's loving presence. But despite it all, the anxiety of not knowing where our relationship stands stayed in me. Since we talked about his reasons for not contacting me for a month, kissing all the regrets, and blaming goodbye, we haven't discussed ourselves.