The Girl Across the Street- 3

I head off to French. I get to the door and take a deep breath. My confidence wanes, I have to face this class alone. No one on the soccer team is in this class with me. I reach for the cool door handle. Walking in, I'm prepared for more stares of victims of another messed up routine. No one ever dares walk into class late, much less in the middle of the period.

People glare up at me but their eyes soften a little when they see it's me. They have caught on to the bad news, even if they don't know what it is yet. This is both bad and good for me because they will back off on the glares but now the questions and "favors" will begin.

I start to head to my desk when I see who is sitting behind me, Emma. I stop staring, shake my head, and sit down. Just how many classes will I have with this girl?! I want her to leave. She has messed up my whole schedule today. As soon as she comes, I'm late to pick up Nathan because I got distracted by the house, probably her new abode and I'm almost late to English, helping her find her way. I didn't even go to math today, but I doubt she had anything to do with that in any way; she didn't hit Will with a car or call the meeting.

She gives me a tentative smile but I just turn away. I ignore her the whole period, but I can't focus on passé composé. Instead, I go through my backpack, looking for nothing.

The bell rings after centuries of waiting. I hear the soft classical music playing over head on the loudspeaker, knowing Simon will quiz me on the composer later at lunch, just a dumb thing we do, but I can't focus on the notes, they blend together and for all I know or care, they could have played a techno song next. At least now I have gym. We are pretty much allowed to do anything we want as long as we show up, go outside when they take us outside and change into gym clothes.

I need to run. I need to turn on my iPod and just drown things out, get rid of my stress. I've never had a day like this and so far, I hate it.

Gym is a class where all high school grades combine and I know Kelley is in the senior class that shares our period. Simon and Nathan are in my class as well but I couldn't really care less right now. Simon may run with me but at least he will be okay with not talking. Nathan will walk and read. I swear, he goes through books like some people go through socks.

I step into the locker room for the second time today. The smell of old socks and sweat hits me like a tidal wave upon opening the heavy door. I change quickly and head up to the gym.

As I step onto the football field outside, I search for Kelley. I see her sitting on the bleachers, alone and looking lost. Her friends are standing off to the side, looking concerned, but not doing anything.

I make my way over but they try to stop me. "Whoa, back off Dylan. She needs some time alone. Something is up with Will and if she can't even tell us, she certainly won't talk to you about it." One of her friends, Brooke, warns, stepping out in front of me. I push past her and walk over to Kelley. She looks over, but I don't think she even really registers who I am, or that I'm even there.

"Hey Kelley." I whisper, sitting carefully beside her. "I'm sorry about Will. My mom told me about him." She nods slowly, still off in space. I reach out a tentative hand to pat her on the back. As soon as my hand makes contact with her shoulder, she breaks down.

"Why him? Why did it have to be Will?!" She cries, collapsing into me. I gently wrap my arms around her, trying to comfort her. I don't know what else to do. "Oh why was I late today? If I was on time, he never would have had to go to work to pick up his extra jacket; he keeps one at my house. This whole thing never would have happened if I could have just been on time! It's all my fault!" The last word is followed quickly by a body shaking sob.