The Girl Across the Street- 5

"Hey Mom, is Will ready?" I answer politely while Kate fixes her shirt.

                "Hi honey." My mom says happily. "Yes, Will is doing well. You can come now and visit until five o'clock, then they want everyone that is not family to leave and let him rest. Brian is on his way now to pick you you up, he should be there momentarily."

                Of course, she doesn't call me as Brian is leaving the hospital, but instead as he is about to pull into my driveway.

                I hang up after saying goodbye to my mom and hastily throw on my shirt, which Kate retrieved while I was on the phone. I don't bother with the button up, no one at the hospital really cares what I wear. As I straighten it out, a car honks in the driveway.

                Kate follows me downstairs and she waits while I lock the front door. Brian raises his eyebrows when she climbs into the car after me. He knows our history well and also knows that Will doesn't like her much.

                "She is coming with us to the hospital. It's too far out of the way to drive her home. She doesn't have to come into the room with with us." I whisper, answering his question before he opens his mouth.

                He nods and backs out of my driveway carefully. "It's your funeral." He responds. I nod grimly and look out the window. In the house across the street, I see a flash of pink hair in one of the upstairs windows.

***

                After fifteen excruciating, awkward and silent minutes in the car ride to the hospital, we finally pull up.

                My mom meets us outside. She envelopes me in a hug and gets on her tiptoes to kiss me on the forehead. "Hey Mom." I whisper. "How are you?"

                "I'm doing well thanks. A little hungry though, I'm running to get some food for Deborah and myself." She whispers back. Looking behind me, she sees Kate and greets her warmly, my mom has always liked Kate, both of my parents like her a lot, though my mom doesn't really trust her much anymore.

                I nod. "Have you talked to Dad or Cassidy at all today?"

                "Yes. Your sister is staying at her friend Mary's house until six or so and your father is going to try to come home early but you know how hard it is for him to get out of work sometimes." I nod my head. She turns to Kate. "Kate honey, will you come downstairs to the cafeteria? I would love to catch up with you. I haven't seen you in a while."

                Kate nods and goes with my mom, giving me a quick wave before they disappear around the corner.

                Brian turns to me. "Ready?" I nod. He leads me to an elevator in the lobby. The ding comes almost immediately. A family walks out looking happy and alive. They all flash us toothy smiles and a round of "have a nice day" and "good luck."

                We step in and what is playing? Don't Stop Believing by Journey. I chuckle to myself.

                The elevator stops abruptly on the fifth floor. We walk out and turn left. Brian stops in front of one of the rooms. It isn't any different from any of the other rooms, nothing to tell you that a teenager is in there. Nothing to tell you that a young life has been changed.

                Walking in, I see Deborah and Kelley sitting right next to the bed, Kelley is grasping Will's hand with a small smile on her face. I see Will in the hospital bed, IV hooked up, bandages covering his arms and head. He looks alive, you can see the laughter in his eyes, nothing about him says frail, even a major car accident can't change that in him.