The Girl Across the Street 19

"Glad that you could join us boys." Mrs. Olivers calls out, looking up from her computer while she takes attendance. I roll my eyes at Simon. A guy just can't be racing the bell huh? Lucky for Nick, he has Miss White, otherwise he would permanently live in detention. Like me it seems. I have no idea when my detention period ends with Emma and Mrs. Olivers. At this point, Mrs. Olivers might keep us forever just to drive Emma crazy.

            At 8:05 the announcements come on. They don't tell us anything new from yesterday and I zone out. When they're over I pull out my book and read until the bell rings again at 8:10.

            After Chem, I meet Kate outside of her math class and hand in hand, we walk to lunch. First we stop at Kate's locker, then at mine. While I'm grabbing my books, I see Emma down the hall talking to someone. From my angle, I can't see who it is but I can only hope that it's finally someone being nice to her.

            As Kate and I get closer, I see that Emma is talking to a senior named Greg. Immediately I feel Kate tense up behind me and my fingers curl into a fist. Greg looks up and has the gall to smirk and nod at me, as if he means it in a friendly gesture. He winks at Kate and I feel her grip on my hand tighten. Whether she means to hold me back or needs more support, I can't really tell.

            When I look at Emma, she looks positively uncomfortable. Her arms are crossed over her chest, hugging her body. Greg's hand is propped up against the locker next to Emma's head and his body leans over hers. Emma's eyes frantically tell me to help her.

            "Greg what are you doing picking on her?" I accuse, looking him right in the eye.

            He stares right back, unabashed by my glare. "Picking on her? Why, all I'm doing is telling her how pretty she is. I was trying to ask her out but I suppose I can't? You need to have a Monopoly on all of the junior girls?"

            "Don't you ever try to give me that bullshit. You leave her alone or you'll end up worse than you did last time you messed with me, got it?"

            My threat seems to bounce right off of him. He actually laughs. "Oh please, without your protector, Will, you're nothing but some scrawny junior I could destroy."

            "I don't need Will or anyone else to fight my battles. I didn't send him out last time, he went on his own accord." Kate's grip tightens on my arm again, this time definitely to restrain me. Both of my hands are clenched into tight fists but I don't raise my arm to punch that goddamn smirk right off his face.

            "Come on Dylan, scum like this isn't worth your time. Don't you get in trouble because of him. Let's go to lunch." Kate says firmly, tugging on my arm.

            I break my glare at Greg and look at Kate. Her expression is panicky and I know she just doesn't want to be here anymore. I give in to her plead as soon as I see the fear and regret written on her face. "Emma, come with us. You shouldn't have to tolerate assholes like this. The scum of the school."

            Greg laughs again. "You think this is over, just wait. You can't have every bitch at this school all to yourself Barnes." At the word bitch, both Emma and Kate shiver. The venom he used was enough to make me want to beat him down then and there, had it not been for Kate's firm grip on my forearm. "Go listen to your wonderful little girlfriend Barnes, the bitch of all bitches."

            I pull my arm back but Kate grabs it, yelling "Dylan! Stop it! You'll regret this, I know it!" Then, with the help of Emma, Kate drags me down the hall, away from Greg.