The Girl Across the Street 9

Emma bursts out of the classroom a moment later and I hear each step she takes as her converse hit the floor. Thump, thump, thump, she jogs down the hall, trying to catch up with me. For a split second, I almost hear the click of Kate's heels when she would try to sneak up on me in the hallway.

            The moment is broken when Emma almost barrels into me. She laughs and apologizes. I nod and continue walking, Emma bouncing along next to me.

            Neither of us say a word until she stops suddenly. "You don't say much do you?" She asks, walking quickly to catch up with me, as I had continued to walk down the hall.

            I shake my head. "No. And sometimes it's better that way." I state, not meaning for my words to come out so sharp.

            She nods, taking that in. "That's true, but sometimes it counts to say something. Sometimes you need to speak up about what you feel and what you believe in."

            "Yes that is also true, but detention is not one of those times." I retort. "Who even told you that? Your parents?"

            Her step loses its bounce. "Actually, in case you didn't pick it up from what I said earlier, my mom doesn't care much and my dad left us for some flight attendant named Rosalie."

            "I'm so sorry, I didn't know." I say quietly.

            "It's hard but I guess I'm kind of over it at this point. That's why I moved here. My mom couldn't bear being near him anymore. So she decided to take me across the country." Emma shrugs, passing it off as no big deal.

            I nod, processing the information. We are outside and heading back to our houses. It will take us about five minutes to get home, it's 4:15 now.

            "Strangers, waiting, up and down the boulevard..." My phone plays loudly. Emma giggles at the ringtone as I pull my phone out of my pocket.

            "Hey mom-"

            "Honey, why aren't you home yet? You should have called me letting me know you would be taking this long" My mom shrills into my ear. I pull the phone away.

            "Mom, Mom I'm sorry. We got caught up in the work and lost track of time. We are on our way home now." I reassure her.

            "We? Who is 'we'?" She questioned.

            "Our new neighbor. She's my partner. Her name is Emma."

            "Oh so you have met Jacqueline's daughter! Excellent! I just went over today to welcome her to the neighborhood. Very nice woman. She was telling me she had a daughter in the eleventh grade. Jacqueline said she won't be home very often because of work so she asked if we could keep an eye on her house for her."

            "Yes Mom. We will be home soon. Goodbye."

            "Wait, Dylan, do you kids want a ride home?"

            "No, we're almost there anyway. But thanks mom."

            "Alright sweetheart," My mom sighs. "Be safe, see you soon." I hang up and slip my phone back into my pocket.

            Emma giggles. "I love your choice of ringtone Dylan. You know, I would have never thought you were the type of guy to like Journey. I figured you were more of a Coldplay, John Mayer type of guy."