Chapter 6: East Meets West

Later, during the next day...

Takumi walked off the plane and into the airport with his father and company. When he saw Boise and its surroundings from the plane, he was intrigued. This was nothing like Gunma. The valley itself was part of a high desert plain, and a river ran straight through the city. Nevertheless, it was a long, boring flight.

Itsuki yawned, walking next to Takumi, Mika, and Iketani. "What a flight." He said.

"You said it." A voice said behind them. Takumi turned around, and saw Keisuke Takahashi, with his older brother, Ryosuke.

"Keisuke! Ryosuke!" He exclaimed. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"Well, after everything that you told us about this pen pal of yours, we wanted to see it for ourselves," Ryosuke replied.

"We also had our cars shipped here, just so we don't get bored." Keisuke laughed. "There's got to be some good racing around here somewhere."

"Well, it's good to see you both," Takumi said. "Speaking of Manuel, he said he'd be waiting for us here."

"Yep, and I think we've found him." Iketani then pointed out someone holding a sign written in both English and Japanese, reading "Fujiwara." It was Manuel. He was not paying attention when Takumi walked up. He was looking at his phone.

Takumi walked up. "Manuel Vernandez?" He said.

Manuel snapped to. "Takumi!" He put away his phone and slapped him a high-five. "How was your flight?"

"Not too bad.' Takumi said. "Itsuki slept most of the way." He then introduced Manuel to everyone else, including the Takahashi brothers.

Manuel raised an eyebrow at the Takahashi brothers. "So, you are the leaders of the Red Suns? Takumi's told me a lot about you."

"I'm sure he has," Ryosuke said as they walked out to the airport parking lot.

"Well, enough about that. Do you guys need a cab? I doubt we can all ride in my CR-X."

"It's covered," Bunta said. Manuel then saw something he didn't expect as they stopped walking: Takumi's Trueno Eight-Six was parked in one of the spots! And not far off was the Takahashi's Mazdas!

"Had to have it delivered," Bunta explained. "As I'm sure the Takahashi brothers had theirs delivered."

"So, I guess you guys won't need a cab," Manuel said. "Well, I'd better get my car."

Bunta then got a look in his eye. "Takumi, why don't you ride with Manuel? Tell me how he drives."

Takumi looked a little surprised. "Uh... okay dad." He walked with Manuel over to the other side of the parking lot. Manuel and Takumi walked up to his Blue and Black CR-X. Manuel popped open the front hood, and Takumi was surprised! There was no engine in the front!

"Where's the engine?" Takumi asked.

"In the back," Manuel said, folding up the paper sign and putting it into the cargo net in the space.

"Wait, you're telling me this is a mid-engine CR-X?" Takumi asked, surprised. "I've never heard of such a thing..."

"Well, it is custom built," Manuel said. He popped open the back boot, then opened a panel where the engine was located, looking over the B16A Turbo engine he had built, and smiled.

"This must have taken a lot of work!" Takumi said.

"It did, but it was so worth it to wipe the smug look off of the LA. Street King's faces," Manuel said.

"The Street Kings?" Takumi asked.

"A racing group that I met once at Bogus. Very obnoxious." Manuel explained, shutting the panel and boot. "Not sure what they are doing these days."

"Sounds a lot like the Emperor team," Takumi said as they got in. "Any other teams worth mentioning?"

"Well, there are the local Bogus Broncos. Named after the local football team. That team race regularly. Its ran by my friend, Bob Samson."

"I see," Takumi said, buckling his seat belt.

As Manuel started the car, he asked Takumi a surprising question. "...Takumi, do you believe in aliens?"

"Aliens? Well, I've... Never really thought about it." Takumi answered.

Manuel then put the car in gear and drove off with the Eight-Six close behind.

He was wondering how he would explain Throttle to Takumi.