Chapter 20: Courage

Boise Stage Stop

Orchard, Idaho.

Ten minutes until race time...

"That kid sure does have a big local fan base," Modo said as he watched Manuel signing autographs next to his car.

"I just hope he knows what he's doing," Carbine said, worrying about Throttle. "Limburger is not going to make this easy."

"I don't like this. You sure we can't run alongside him in the race?" Vinnie asked.

"No. That won't help." Iketani said. "There are cameras all along the route to track the racers. If any of you were seen on those, Manuel would be accused of cheating, maybe even disqualified."

"We just have to trust him," Stoker said. "If Throttle thought this guy was a good enough guy, then we can trust him."

"How do you know that Throttle thought Manuel was a 'good enough guy'?" Carbine asked.

"Think of it this way: Would he have stayed with him otherwise?" Stoker answered Carbine's question with another. Carbine knew he had a point.

"Hey, look." Rimfire pointed out another semi driving up. It had Japanese lettering on it.

"That's gotta be Kirafuda's car transport!" Carbine said. "What is he driving, Rimfire?"

"I don't know," Rimfire said, looking over data on his laptop. "Yuya chose to keep his car anonymous until it's on site..."

The side panels opened up, folding upwards as lights turned on, revealing a highly modified Acura NSX! It was lowered to the cement by a lift as the crowd went wild again.

"No doubt that's the same one that he raced his brother with," Jaiden said. "He's doing this just to intimidate Manuel!"

Carbine then got out a set of filtered goggles and put them on. She scanned the truck's cab. The sight broke her. Throttle was inside! Chained up behind the passenger seat, like some sort of primal animal! He looked like he had been beaten, maybe even tortured, and had bandages in various places on his body!

"He's in there!" Carbine exclaimed. "Throttle is in there!" She tried to get out of the truck, but Stoker stopped her.

"You're forgetting we're in a large crowd of people!" He said.

"I need to know he's alright!" Carbine said. "I've already lost him once! I don't want to lose him again!"

"Carbine, slow down," Stoker said calmly. "Use your head. There are other ways to contact Throttle besides busting into that semi, and falling for an obvious trap."

"How?" Carbine asked.

"Natural frequencies," Stoker said, pointing to his antennas. "Has it been that long that you've forgotten our telepathic abilities?"

Carbine sighed. Stoker thinking ahead. That was something new.

Both of them then took a deep breath, relaxed, and concentrated.

(Throttle, can you hear me? Can you hear my thoughts? Please, say something! Let me know that you're alright!) Carbine thought, concentrating on Throttle.

After a pause, she got a response, though it was weak.

(Carbine?! Where are you?! Stay away from me! It's a trap!)

(We know that, Throttle.) Stoker added in. (But we have a plan. Don't worry, we're going to get you out, without falling into any trap that Limburger has in store.)

(It's not Limburger you should be worried about!) Throttle said through the link. (The Catatonians are involved, too. I've been interrogated by Cataclysm himself on a regular basis...)