Chapter 13: Dad

"So how long are you going to be here, Takumi?" Manuel asked as they waited for their food.

"Dad said at least a month. He needs to get the second tofu shop set up and everything, before heading to California for the next one." Takumi answered.

Throttle nodded. "Yeah, that makes sense."

Rosie then arrived with their food and Manuel's bill. Manuel got out his wallet and told Rosie to put it on his debit card, handing it to her. She then took the debit card to the register to ring up the charge.

Everyone started to eat. Then, Manuel's father came by.

"How are you, my boy?" He said happily.

"I'm fine," Manuel said, taking a drink of his soda.

"So, these are some of your friends from Japan?" He asked.

"Yep," Manuel said simply.

Hesus sat there talking and catching up with Manuel, who seemed to put up little effort in keeping up the conversation. After a while, he left, saying he had to get back on bar duty. The group then finished up their meals and left, Manuel leaving ten dollars on the table for a tip.

Once they were outside the diner, Throttle decided to ask Manuel a question.

"I guess you and your pops aren't on the best of terms?"

"We're working on that," Manuel said.

"Well, it's been a fun evening, Manuel. But I have to get back to the hotel." Takumi said. "See you sometime tomorrow? Maybe you could tell me more about your brother?"

"Okay. See you tomorrow, Takumi." Manuel said.

Takumi, along with Itsuki and Iketani, got back into the Eight-Six and drove off.

"Guess we'd better call it a night, too," Manuel said. he and Throttle got in the CR-X and drove back to his apartment.

A few hours later, on the freeway...

Charley woke slowly. Vinnie and Modo were still asleep. She felt the truck moving. She got up and saw Jaiden driving. She walked up into the cab.

"Early start?" She asked.

"Yeah," Jaden answered. "I figured we would cover most of the distance during the early hours of the morning. It will make the trip seem shorter for your friends. If they're hungry, I got some prepackaged food under the passenger seat."

"They're still asleep." Charley yawned.

"Alright," Jaiden said. "So how did you meet these... mouse men?"

"Technically, they're aliens," Charley replied. "They're from Mars."

"Aliens?" Jaiden raised an eyebrow as he drove the semi. "You're serious?"

"Completely," Charley said.

Jaiden just shrugged his shoulders. "I guess that explains the antennas. My dad said I was always hanging out with the weird crowd. Now I guess he was right."

"So why are you helping us?" She asked.

"Because it's the right thing to do," Jaiden said. "Besides, do you think you'd be able to put both of those bikes into your pickup truck and drive all this way on your own? I don't think so."

Charley sighed. He did have a point.

"So how much longer until we get to Boise?" She asked.

"Well, considering the distance we've already covered, if we drive non-stop, we should be there, say, by late afternoon today. We'll get there, that I guarantee."