Chapter 14: Mika

The next morning...

Manuel woke up from his sleeping bag on the floor. The sun was shining in through the apartment window like it did each morning when he had a day off. Manuel covered his face, trying to shield his eyes from the light as he got up out of his sleeping bag.

Throttle was still sound asleep. "Guess that race down the mountain took more out of him than I thought..." He muttered, then sighed. He got up and got ready to fix breakfast, but he stopped for a minute and gazed at Throttle. He remembered how Throttle had teased him last night, about being afraid of competition. Throttle's attitude and friendliness reminded him a lot of his brother, Hector. It was a welcome change from some of the things he had to deal with from his mother and father. Even though both were trying to salvage their relationship with him, it was difficult to do. Their old habits of fighting with each other didn't help things, either. One of the reasons he tried to avoid talking to them.

He missed Hector. Life wasn't easy after he died in that car accident. That was four years ago, and yet it seemed like it was only yesterday...

Manuel was pulled back to reality as he heard a knock at the door. He quickly got over and checked who it was through the door's peephole. It was Takumi and Mika, and Mika didn't look very happy!

He opened the door slowly, and cautiously, still in his pajamas.

"I guess you told her?" Manuel asked.

"I had to," Takumi replied. "Somehow, she knew something was bothering me last night, and when I told her, she wanted to see for herself, said she didn't believe me. Besides, I can't keep secrets from Mika. I thought I told you that, Manuel."

Manuel sighed, then let them in.

"Okay, but she'd better not scream like Itsuki did, or you're both out the door," Manuel warned.

Mika walked forward in the apartment, then peeked around the corner. She saw Throttle, asleep on the bed.

Mika was breathless. Then she smiled one of those sweet, innocent smiles only a girl could give.

"Aw!" She silently cooed. "He's so cute!"

Takumi and Manuel nearly fell face-first on the floor when they heard her say that.

"Okay, well... I guess I'd better wake him up, check on his injuries, then get myself dressed. Otherwise, we'll be late for that meet-up at the Riverside golf course that you two wanted to go to." Manuel then walked up next to the bed, and put his hand on Throttle's shoulder, gently shaking it.

Throttle woke up. His eyes opened slowly. He got his tinted specs from the headboard and put them on.

"You okay?" Manuel asked as Takumi rounded the corner to the kitchen.

"Yeah." Throttle said. He then noticed Mika peeking around the corner. "Who's that?"

Mika then walked forward and introduced herself. "My name's Mika Uehara. I'm Takumi's friend. Sorry, I didn't mean to pry, but I could tell something was bothering Takumi last night, and he told me about you and how Manuel found you on the mountain, and..."

Throttle just laughed. "It's okay. I know how that can be. I can't keep secrets from my girlfriend, either."

Takumi breathed a sigh of relief. He was afraid Throttle would be mad.

"Well, Throttle, after I fix breakfast, I'm going to go hang out with Takumi for a bit," Manuel said. "You know how to use a phone?"

"Yeah." Throttle answered. Manuel then gave him a prepaid cell phone.

"If you need anything, just call the number I programmed into the speed dial on this and I'll be back as soon as I can." He said. "It links to my smartphone."

"Got it." Throttle said, sitting up on the bed. Manuel then went to fix breakfast.

Meanwhile, outside...

"Are you sure that apartment building is where he is?" Limburger said to Greasepit and Karbunkle in the Van.

"My scanner is reading him inside," Karbunkle said. "There's no mistake. The only problem we have is the current resident of that apartment. He could interfere with your plans. However, the boy leaves the apartment on a regular basis, from what my spy cams have observed..."

"Very well," Limburger said. "You'll just have to wait until he's alone. Then, grab him while he's still venerable. Do whatever it takes to get that rodent, then deliver him to me."