01

1943

Steve and Anna made their way to a movie theater and the latter said, "You did tell Bucky, right?"

Steve nodded. "Yes, I told him. He's on his way."

They watched as a commercial about the war before the movie. Anna subconsciously moved closer to Steve who noticed and smiled.

The commercial announcer said, "War continues to ravage Europe. But help is on the way. Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares?" a loud, jerky guy said. "Play the movie already!"

Steve replied quietly, "Hey, you wanna show some respect?"

"Steve, please," Anna said.

"Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price freedom is never too high."

"Let's got! Get on with it! Hey, just start the cartoon!" the loud jerk cried.

"Hey buddy, you wanna shut up?!" Steve returned.

Anna shook her head. "Hush up, Steve. Please."

"He's disrespecting our troops, Anna."

The guy got up and looked at him.

The blonde slunk in her seat and let out a soft groan. "I know you won't be able to let this go."

"Together with Allied forces, we'll face any threat, no matter the size."

The three were soon in an alley. Steve pushed Anna behind him and tried punching the guy, but kept getting knocked down. Anna winced as she watched her friend getting pummeled.

Anna went to hit the guy who said, "This isn't your fight, princess."

Her brow furrowed as she said, "I'm afraid it is. Why do you think it okay to pick on the weaker man?"

Steve picked up the top to a trashcan and the guy said, "You two just don't know when to give up, do you?"

"I could do this all day," Steve challenged, balling his fists.

Anna picked up a stick and yelled, "Back off!"

The guy knocked the stick from her hand and hit her, causing her to stumble into the wall. She would have fallen had she not placed a hand against the wall to steady herself.

A young brunet man in uniform walked up to the fight and said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size! Never hit a lady!" He punched the attacker, then kicked the man as he ran away.

Bucky looked back at Steve. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched. Did you bring Anna into this?"

"I had him on the ropes," Steve replied. "She chose to defend me." He looked at her lip. "That should heal soon enough."

Bucky picked up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" He read from the enlistment form. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Steve ignored Bucky's words and asked, "You get your orders?"

"The 107th. Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow. "

"I should be going. Come on, Anna."

"Come on, man. My last night! Gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where are we going?" Steve wondered.

"The future." He handed Steve a newspaper. Steve opened the paper to see an ad for World Exposition Of Tomorrow, 1943.

Anna looked at the newspaper and a light smile crossed her face.

Steve turned to Anna. "I'll pick you up at seven. If that's all right?"

Anna nodded and smiled. "I'll see you then."

---

Anna slipped on a dress and put on light makeup. She touched her lip gently and winced, letting out a small sigh.

She turned, hearing a knock.

Anna opened it to reveal Steve who was holding a bouquet of red roses.

Steve smiled when he saw Anna. He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it with a nervous expression.

Bucky, who was taking them both, elbowed Steve. "Don't just gawk at her. Compliment her."

Steve stammered out, "You look... You look beautiful, Anna."

An oddly shy smile crossed her lips as she replied, "Thank you."

Bucky looked between them a moment before saying, "We should go."

Steve nodded and offered an arm to Anna who accepted.