11

After Steve had been missing for some time, he awoke in a 1940's hospital and heard a baseball game on an old radio. A woman walked into the room.

The Dodgers announcer said over the radio, "Curve ball, high and outside for ball one. So the Dodgers are tied, 4-4. And the crowd well knows that with one swing of his bat, this fellow's capable of making it a brand-new game again. Just an absolutely gorgeous day here at Ebbets Field. The Phillies have managed to tie up at 4-4. But the Dodgers have three men on. Pearson beaned Reiser in Philadelphia last month. Wouldn't the youngster like a hit here to return the favor? Pete leans in. Here's the pitch. Swung on. A line to the right. And it gets past Rizzo. Three runs will score. Reiser heads to third. Durocher's going to wave him in. Here comes the relay, but they won't get him." The door opened and an agent walked in.

"Good morning," the agent greeted as she checked her watch. "Or should I say, afternoon?"

"Where am I?" Steve asked.

"You're in a recovery room in New York City."

"The Dodgers take the lead, 8-4. Oh, Dodgers! Everyone is on their feet. What a game we have here today, folks. What a game indeed."

Steve looked at her suspiciously. "Where am I really?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand."

"This game, it's from May, 1941. I know because I was there." He got up from the bed. "Now, I'm gonna ask again. Where am I?"

"Captain Rogers..." She secretly pushed an alarm.

"Who are you?"

Two soldiers in black uniforms entered the room and Steve knocked them through the wall. He realized he was in a made-up set and ran out.

"Captain Rogers, wait!" the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent said before speaking into a comm. "All agents, code 13! I repeat. All agents, code 13!"

---

Steve found himself in 2011's Time Square. He looked around in shock. Numerous SUVs encircled him and Fury stepped out of one of the vehicles.

"At ease, soldier!" Fury said. "Look, I'm sorry about that little show back there, but... we thought it best to break it to you slowly."

"Break what?" Steve asked.

"You've been asleep, Cap. For almost seventy years." Steve looked around him in shock. "You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah. I just... I had a date," Steve answered, the memories of his last conversation with Anna and Peggy playing in his head. He figured both were gone and that he'd never see her again. The thought of never seeing Anna again broke his heart. In a matter of months, for him, he'd lost the woman be loved, a fellow agent, and his best friend.

---

Steve was pummeling a punching bag in the gym and in anger, he knocked his punching bag off its chain, sending it flying across the room when Fury entered.

"Trouble sleeping?" Fury asked.

"You're here with a mission, sir?" Steve questioned.

"I am."

"Trying to get me back in the world?"

"Trying to save it."