10

Steve took over the plane's controls. On a screen he read 'Ziel New York City' and tried the radio which was picked up by the HYDRA control tower occupied by Peggy, Colonel Phillips and Morita.

(Target New York City)

"Come in," Steve said. "This is Captain Rogers. Do you read me? I have Anna with me."

"Captain Rogers, Miss Reed, what are your..." Morita was cut off as Peggy took his place.

"Steve, is that you?" Peggy asked. "Are you and Anna all right?"

"Peggy! Schmidt's dead."

"What about the plane?"

"That's a little bit tougher to explain."

"Give me your coordinates, I'll find you two a safe landing site."

"There's not going to be a safe landing. But I can try and force it down."

"I'll get Howard on the line, he'll know what to do."

"There's not enough time. This thing's moving too fast and it's headed for New York. I gotta put her in the water."

"Please, don't do this. We have time. We can work it out."

"Right now Anna and I are in the middle of nowhere. If we wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die. Peggy, this is my choice. Anna's okay with this choice." He forced the plane toward the water. "Anna?"

"I'm here," Anna said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance."

Anna, with tears in her eyes, said, "All right. A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club."

"You got it."

"Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late. Understood?"

"You know, I still don't know how to dance."

"I'll show you how. Just be there."

"We'll have the band play somethin' slow. I'd hate to step on your..." He cut himself off, coming to terms with their current situation.

Steve glanced at the woman he adored. "Anna? What are you thinking?"

She didn't answer.

"Anna, it'll be okay. I promise."

The two soon felt the chill of the icy water.

May 8, 1945

The world celebrated the victory over Nazi Germany. The Howling Commandos were in a bar looking solemn.

Falsworth said, "To the Captain and Anna." The group drank.

ARCTIC SEA - SHIP

Howard was on his search for the Valkyrie. They found the Tesseract.

"Sir?" Howard's engineer called. Howard stepped to him and watched on a screen as a submarine grabbed the cube.

Howard said to the captain, "Take us to the next grid point."

"But there's not a trace of the wreckage. And the energy signature stops here."

"Just keep looking."

---

Peggy was handed a file about Steve and Anna. She pulled out the photos her friends and looked at them sadly.

---

Near where the plane had fallen, a woman was found.

The unconscious woman was taken where she would become a mere fleeting memory of who she once was.