Chapter 11: Gnome Your Enemy

"For centuries, the troll and human worlds stood separate and at peace, divided by bridges that acted as doorways between our two realms... But the Gumm-Gumms wanted to devour all of mankind. They were led by Gunmar, "the Black." The rest of trollkind fought against him, culminating in the great Battle of Killahead Bridge, the portal to Gunmar's Darklands."

"After many moons, good triumphed over evil, and our great Trollhunter, Deya "the Deliverer," locked Gunmar away, exiling him to the Darklands, and sealed the Killahead Bridge with the sacred amulet. After, we tore it apart, stone by stone. We left the old world in search of peace. We stowed away on a ship called the Mayflower, just a handful of us and some gnomes we'd brought along for companionship and nourishment. Finally, we arrived in a strange and exotic realm."

Aarg: "New Jersey."

Blinky grunts in agreement as he continues to read. "We kept walking. Eventually, we came across a new Heartstone, and we realized we had found a new home under Arcadia..."

Blinky finishes, his hands descending and removing the book from obstructing his view to reveal Y/N, leaning forward, deep into the story with Aarg and Toby matching his posture while Jim was asleep, another open book in his lap.

Blinky groans and quietly walks to Jim and slams the book shut.

Jim wakes with a startle, screaming in Spanish.

Jim: "Lo Siento, Senor Draal! No me mates!"

Blinky: "The training of troll history might seem like a minor duty, Master Jim, but-"

Jim: "S-Sorry, I pulled an all-nighter studying for my Spanish Comprehension exam and my brain is muy gooey. I don't know. I guess I thought if I'm facing Draal in a week, my training would be a little more... Active."

Jim stands with a stretch and a yawn.

Y/N: "Yeah, but learning the history of something you wield is also important too."

Jim scoffs. "Then why don't we learn the history of your amulet, huh? Where's that at?"

Y/N remains quiet.

To avoid further embarrassment, Toby hops over excitedly to Jim and snakes his arms around his shoulders.

Toby: "W-When is Jim gonna learn like, Troll-kwondo or something?" Toby asks as he pretends to fight, successfully changing the subject.

"Before one fights, Toby D, one must understand why one fights. For these precious early steps will decide whether a young Trollhunter will become a Deya the Deliverer..." Blinky mentions.

Aarg: "...Or Unkar the Unfortunate."

Blinky: "Hence why I give Master Y/N props," Blinky begins as he points at Y/N with two of his four arms.

Jim is taken aback.

Blinky: "With all due respect, Master Jim, Master Y/N is demonstrating more effort than you are. His effort aims true. However, do not negatively take this. You two are supposed to motivate and aid each other."

Y/N and Jim nod.

Jim: "...Well, tomorrow, my Spanish exam is with Senor Uhl "the Unforgiving." My main concern is for my immediate future, not "Unkar the Unfortunate."

Y/N gasps. "I forgot about the exam!"

Blinky: "Aha! But, to learn what will happen in the future, one must only look to the past! I recommend you two "A Brief Recapitulation of Troll Lore" by the venerable Bedehilde. Volume one of 47."

Blinky drops the large book onto the floor with a loud thud, earning a groan from Jim.

Jim: "...Okay, but if I don't pass the exam, I'm grounded and I can't be the Trollhunter. Sorry, Blinky, but the amulet chose me, and now I have two lives to keep up."