Plans

We were almost as giddy if not more the next morning

We were almost as giddy if not more the next morning. After picking up some fast food and a large pack of beer on the way back to the hotel, we spent most of the night celebrating as we went through the metal box and all its contents.

It was a true treasure chest with a lot of cash. At least three million based on our half drunk calculations. There was also jewelry like Austin had expected, and loose gemstones and a few solitaire diamonds. I was no jewelry expert, but I knew what Brian spent on my sister's engagement ring, and that stone was nothing compared to the ones in the box.

Austin and Alex recognized some of the jewelry, especially a couple of necklaces, as having been their mothers. Their father's Rolex watch was also there, as was the deed to the grandparents' farm.

"Wow," Alex had chuckled. "I guess we do own the farm."

They had cheered and laughed at finally finding the "money," and I cried happy tears because they were so happy and they deserved to be.

After a quick breakfast, we were on our way back to the farm. I was in the backseat with the metal box and all its contents next to me. It was scary to be in charge of something with that much value, but it wasn't like we could risk leaving it somewhere.

"It feels different going back there now that we own it," Austin said to Alex, who nodded in agreement.

"What are you going to do with it?" I asked.

They exchanged a look, like they hadn't even considered that they had a choice to make.

"Do you want it?" Alex asked Austin.

"No, do you?"

"No. I don't really want to spend time here."

Austin nodded slowly. "There were some good memories..."

But there were probably more bad than good. I could understand that.

"The entire situation has just left a bad taste," Alex responded. "It's not like the place itself holds enough sentimental meaning to keep it."

"So we are selling," Austin said like it was the easiest decision in the world, and Alex agreed.

And just like that, it was decided.

We used the same cart from the barn to drag the metal box along the overgrown property. My entire body hurt, so Austin pulled it most of the time. And despite being under the canopy for most of the day, I had sunburn on my face, and much more freckles than usual. But none of that mattered when I heard Austin and Alex laugh, and do that man hug thing that involved slaps on the back.

Seeing and hearing them happy and carefree was what I'd always wished for.

We moved slowly through the old house, room by room, and it was plain it had been ransacked. Everything of value was gone, including the kitchen appliances and part of the copper pipes.