09. Another day

Dawn

I carried my heavy limbs across the hallways with a frown permanantly embedded on my face. I was sure that my eyes were outlined by dark bags too. Last night was…eventful to say the least. To suddenly realise you’ll be homeless soon, I don’t think I was ready fo rthis sort of development in independency.

“Why the long face my love?” I hear a chirpy voice sound from somewhere behind me.

I stopped on my step, sighing and hanging my head low. “Jeez, that expression was unnesessary.” Elle chuckled, walking up to me.

I raised my eyes to meet her grey ones. She was usually a tad bit shorter then me but my slumped shoulders made her look longer. I straightened up, rubbing my eyes lightly.

As soon as she was infront of me, she gasped, her eyes widening, “What the fuck happened to your face?!”

“Hi Elle.”

“Dawn!” She spoke in a chiding tone, making me smile a little bit. I soon realised it was a bad desicsion.

“Just got into a fight saving a… friend.”

That seemed to relax her a bit. “Typical Dawn, always there to save the day.”

I grimaced at her tone but I know she meant no real harm behind those words.

“So, what’s got your panties in a twist?” She muttered begrudigly.

“Nothing much, just working double shifts and you know my grans.”

She patted my shoulder, smiling symathatically at me as we contrinued walking once again. My class was in the next floor and it had already started three minutes ago. But honestly, I was too tired for this shit today.

“So…” Elle cleared her throat, “you know, the spring dance has been announced and…”

I felt another headache rise. “Hold up. You know I am not interested in that stuff.” Because no one in a fifty mile radius wanted to do anything with me.

“Dawn! Come on! Don’t be so hard on yourself! You haven’t dated in so long. I…” She stopped abruptly. I watched from the corner of my eye are she braced herself for saying the next words.

“I worry Dawn. You don’t deserve to be lonely like this. Please.” Her voice was soft as if soothing a child.

“Look Elle, honey, I appreciate your concern but please give it a rest.”

Her eyes fell and I had no energy to make it up to her. So, I just gave her shoulder a sqeeze and walked away. Before I vanisehd in the corner though, Elle’s voice clearly rang after me.

“Move on from Jeremy already Dawn!”

#

To all the gods, whenever I say this day couldn’t be any worse. It’s. Not. A. Challenge!
I had only a coulple of hours of sleep and have been feeling an unsettling amount of axiety in my stomach whole day. Elle seems to be upset with me and now this.

My professor had asked to meet him in the office after classes. I did not know what to expect but his words were really not somehting I wanted to hear on such a rough day.

“I am afraid you won’t make it this sem Ms. Rivera.”

I pursed my lips in a line, fisting my fingers behind my back. “But sir, I have been getting fine grades in all classes, my attendance is not bad. What have I done wrong?”

My throat felt stuffy, words were like tiny glass specs, too hard to come out.

“You scores in most subjects are fine and in a two subjects, they go really low. I am sorry Rivera, you will have to retake the semester, the most I can offer you is either summer school or extra class.”

I gulped hard. This was my only chance. “I’ll take the extra class sir.”

“Perfect! I’ll sign you a letter, take it to Professor Harold in Psycology department.” He smiled. I nodded in agreement.

If I remembered correctly, this professor Harold had a rough reputation. He was known to make students feel like a hopeless failure. It was a miracle how he managed to stay in the uni even after so many students changed courses or even left because of him.

“May I ask the subject it will be sir?”

“Oh, it will be human sexaulity.” Fan-fucking-tastic.

” Fan-fucking-tastic