Chapter 3 - Draft Picks

Cole's POV
I was accepted into the University of Wisconsin almost immediately. I guess getting drafted at eighteen years old catches a college's eye pretty easily.

Jack, Trevor, and Alex are also getting drafted and they're super nervous about where they're going to be thrown. I'm nervous too, but I know that, no matter where I go, I'll still be able to see my friends when we play games against each other.

Jack is a first round draft pick chosen by the New Jersey Devils and I'm not surprised, considering that his older brother plays for the Vancouver Canucks. Trevor is drafted to the Anaheim Ducks and Alex is drafted to the Los Angeles Kings.

When it's the Montreal Canadien's turn to do their draft picks, they pick me for their team. To be completely honest, Montreal is the last team I ever wanted to be drafted to.

Montreal is in French Canada so everyone speaks French. I hope and pray that my entire team doesn't only speak French because that would make communicating with the team super hard for me.

After I'm given my jersey and take photos with the owner of the Montreal Canadiens, I go back to sit with my family.

When the draft's over, Allie runs over to give me a big hug.

"Congratulations on getting drafted to Montreal," she says with a smile.

"Thanks, Allie." I mutter with a fake smile. Allie pulls away from me and looks into my eyes.

"You don't look super excited about playing for Montreal,"

"I'm not. I'm gonna be so far away from everyone," I reply, staring down at my black dress shoes. Allie gives me another hug.

"I know it's hard, but you're not alone. My brother plays for Vancouver so he's far away too. Just remember that you have an off season so you'll have to come back home to see me. And your family of course," she explains. I smile and nod.

"Of course,"

Allison's POV
A week later, I find out that I have been accepted to Louisiana State University with a full scholarship to play softball for them. I told my parents, but they barely listened.

"That's great, sweetie. We have to get going now. We don't want to be late to Luke's game," my mom says. She kisses me on the cheek and goes out the door with my dad right behind her.

I sigh, sad that my parents barely even pay attention to me even when I have something really important to say. I think another telling Jack since he's still home, but decide not to bother.

I end up calling Cole, hoping that he'll be more excited than my own parents.

"Hello?"

"Cole, guess what?" I say with a smile.

"What?"

"I got into Louisiana State!" I reply with excitement. I hear Cole cheering on the other end and start laughing.

"That's awesome! Congratulations!" He says. I smile.

Although Cole is going on to even bigger and better things than I am, he still goes out of his way to be happy for me.

"Thanks. You're probably the first person who said that to me today," I mutter.

"Your parents didn't congratulate you?" Cole asks, a hint of concern in his voice. I shake my head.

"No. They were too busy taking Luke to his hockey tournament,"

"I'm so sorry, Allie. Do you want to come over and hang out?" Cole asks. I regain my smile.