Chapter Eight

The next morning, I woke up for work feeling absolutely nauseous

The next morning, I woke up for work feeling absolutely nauseous. To make up for the missed time, Levi and I had accidentally stayed up way too late grinding our rank. And although we ranked up, I could barely get myself out of bed. I laid there for a moment, wondering when I'd get used to waking up so early.

Then I remembered Theo's offhand remark about having to meet his parents at the award show and I shot right up, wide awake. I needed to talk to him about that. But that jolt of adrenaline didn't last long and I nearly fell asleep in the shower three times.

Zara, ever so amazing, had a latte ready for me when I stumbled onto the set. "You look tired," she said.

"Typically," I responded with a yawn, gratefully taking the drink. "Thank you."

"Tomorrow is the last shooting on this set, so you should be able to leave a little early. Next week we'll be shooting on location which is always harder than a set we built," she told me as we canvassed the set, making sure everything was as it should be and matched our notes from the day before that Zara held in her hand.

I nodded, still a little sleepy. The next scenes we were shooting took place at a fashion show and they'd rented out a venue for it. I didn't understand how they decided which sets would be built and which would be rented, but I liked the idea of traveling around to different places to film. It kept it fresh.

Theo was harder to locate today as most of the scenes were between the minor characters and Sienna and Zara and I had our hands full as Marco seemed to be extremely picky about these scenes. At one point, I left Zara's side to review footage with Marco and Director Ahn, listening to their conversations and critiques, curious as to why we were having to reshoot the scenes so many times. It all made sense immediately. The pair were an unstoppable force. Each decision they made improved the scene, even if the change seemed minor. A dialogue delivery adjustment, a filming direction, an expression... everything made it better when we reviewed the take again. Although Marco seemed like a questionable person to me, there was no doubt he was skilled in what he did.

And that was probably why he was so confident in his script-change ideas. But he was wrong one time. And maybe I hadn't felt one hundred percent confident in believing so, but the fact that Theo agreed made me surer of it. I'd have to try talking to Marco again.

Filming ended without a chance to talk with Theo, and when I set off to hunt him down before he left, Marco stepped in my way, stopping me. "Oh, Maisie I need to talk to you for a second."

I thought about making an excuse to leave so I could go find Theo, but I'd just told myself I would try talking to Marco again about the scenes. "Sure, but can we go somewhere more private?" I asked, learning from my past mistake. I wouldn't let someone accidentally overhear us again.

"Oh, that's not necessary," he said, stepping closer to me.

I felt tempted to take a step back but remained where I was. Up close, I could see just how terribly Marco had dyed his grey hair. Like he'd only run his fingers through some brown dye and then on some strands of hair. "But..."