Chapter Nineteen

The way home consisted of Rowan shoving herself between the two front seats to tell Theo repeatedly that he needed to learn how to swim, especially considering we'd soon be traveling again to an island to film. I silently agreed with her, but kept my opinions to myself, knowing the toll the situation had already taken on Theo. He remained quiet on the drive back, but it didn't feel like an uncomfortable one, more of a tired one.

I was tired, too, and I fell asleep about half an hour into the trip. Rowan shook me awake when we pulled up to my apartment, muttering about how nice it must be to fall asleep during car rides. I considered it one of my talents.

"Maisie, do you need a ride tomorrow?" Theo asked, turning to me as I gathered my backpack, clutching it to my stomach.

I hesitated, having momentarily forgotten about the fact my car wouldn't start. "Oh, crap. Um. I think so if you don't mind."

"Would you rather Rowan pick you up?" he asked. "That way there's no chance of anyone seeing us arrive together?"

I went to agree to that plan but stopped myself. "I'd like you to pick me up," I said instead of turning the offer down.

Rowan raised an eyebrow, meeting my gaze through the rear-view mirror. "This is a new development."

"I want to see how I feel," I explained. Would the anxiety remain gone, like how it hadn't appeared back at the lake? I wanted to know if that was a fluke or not. Maybe arriving at work with Theo would be a good test. "Nothing against you though, Rowan."

"Well, I never offered, anyway. Theo volunteered me."

I gave her a wry smile. "Right."

"You usually drive me to work anyway," Theo said, frowning.

"I'm your bodyguard though, not Maisie's. However, I'll still be going with you, so I guess you're coming with me anyway, Maisie." Her usual smirk graced her features.

I nodded, sliding out of the front seat. "Sure."

She climbed out of the back and took my previously occupied spot. "Goodnight. Get some rest."

"Prop your ankle up again," Theo said, leaning over Rowan to see me.

"Right," I responded, slightly distracted by the fact that Theo's hand pressed into Rowan's thigh. His fingers barely sunk into her skin with how muscled her legs were. "It's already feeling better though—"

"Ice it, too," Rowan interjected, giving me a knowing look. "The better care you take of it, the sooner you don't have to wear those crutches."

I lifted up one of the crutches in acknowledgment, smiling a little at their concern. "Got it. See you tomorrow."

Theo didn't drive away as I hobbled my way to my apartment building entrance, carefully climbing up the stairs, the crutches becoming more of a hassle than ever, and my backpack throwing my balance off. I briefly debated about tossing the crutches off into the bushes lining the side of the stairs. Did I really need them? Surely my ankle would be okay...

One of the crutches fell as I struggled to pull out my phone from my back pocket so I could press it against the keypad. I opened the door first, then bent down to pick up the crutch, trying to keep the weight off my ankle, but nearly losing my balance again, my phone slipping from my hand in the process. Gritting my teeth, I went to throw the crutch and then retrieve my phone when my phone was snatched up before I could grab it.