Chapter Fifteen

When Theo had said he was going to pick me up in the morning, I didn't expect the ass-crack of dawn

When Theo had said he was going to pick me up in the morning, I didn't expect the ass-crack of dawn. My alarm blared at four in the morning. I was more used to going to bed then, than waking up then. I groaned into my pillow in disbelief, morning nauseous not even giving me a second to be awake before making its home into my gut.

The next time I had to drive to set, I was going the night before. I never wanted to wake up this early again.

I barely managed to get myself ready by the time Theo showed up. I slung the backpack with my clothes for the next three days over my shoulder, deciding last second to take my laptop with me as well. I doubted I would get any writing done, but I needed to get back to the groove. The time I'd allotted myself to get used to working was already over. If I stayed on hiatus any longer, my readers were going to riot. I felt it deep in my bones.

Surprisingly, I noticed Theo was driving as I approached his car. Rowan climbed out of the passenger side as I drew closer, holding the door open for me. "Morning," she greeted, her green eyes surrounded by dark eyeshadow and her lips a deep burgundy.

"How do you have the energy to put makeup on this early?" I asked her.

"I enjoy wearing it, so it's relaxing for me to put it on."

"Fair," I replied, letting her take my backpack from me.

She gestured for me to get into the passenger seat before moving to the back of the car to put my backpack in the trunk. I gave Theo a small smile in greeting as I buckled myself in. Just like Rowan, he looked flawless this morning, black hair styled up out of his face, the ends curling a bit. Not the hint of any bags under his eyes. "Good morning," he said, his voice betraying his outward appearance with a little grogginess.

"How come you're driving?" I asked curiously. "Doesn't Rowan usually drive you when you two are together?"

"Rowan and I play rock, paper, scissors to see who is driving for the day. She just typically loses," he explained.

Not what I expected at all, I laughed, putting a hand to my mouth immediately after. "Sorry. Do you guys both hate driving that much?"

"Do you like driving in LA traffic?" Rowan asked as she slid into the back seat, eyeing me through the rear-view mirror. "We carpool so only one of us has to suffer, but it's not so bad since the film studio is so close. It sucks when the production company rents and we have to go all over."

Ah. That answered another one of my questions. I didn't know where Theo lived, but I assumed it was close to her apartment, so it made sense for them to carpool. As for the proximity of the studio, I agreed. I probably wouldn't have joined the filming process had it been somewhere else.

Theo pulled out onto the street, both hands on the steering wheel, following the instructions of the GPS on the display screen. "Let me know if you get too hot or cold," he said to me. "Rowan prefers it to be an icebox in here. There's also a blanket in the back seat if you want to sleep on the way there. You look tired. I would have brought you a coffee, but the stores are still closed.