Chapter Sixteen (Missing)

Author's Note: Somehow this entire chapter went missing....... Thank you to @merrykatie for pointing it out!!

I didn't see Theo again after that. Filming wrapped, and I was so drained from walking up and down the mountain path all day, I'd gone straight to my cabin to pass out while others left the grounds to go to the hotel that had been rented out for the crew. We'd been offered which one we'd prefer way back before filming, and I'd selected the cabin, but apparently, most people selected the hotels because I had mine all to myself.

Which sounded great at first.

Until I realized how terrifying it was to sleep in a cabin in the woods by yourself, even though you knew there were people in the other cabins close to you— but those cabins weren't close enough. Mine was a little further out into the forest and every creak and gust of wind that blew twigs against the window had me hiding under my blanket.

I didn't think I'd ever fall asleep, but I must have, because the next thing I knew, someone was pounding at the door.

I jolted awake at the sound, my heart jumping into my throat. It took me a second to recognize my surroundings, and when I did, I jumped out of the bed, hurrying up to the door. I opened it slightly, peeking out to see Theo standing there, hair and make-up already done, wearing a white t-shirt and pair of Adidas sweatpants.

"Maisie, Zara is looking for you," he said urgently. "It's almost seven. We're going to start climbing to the film site soon."

"Crap," I said, eyes widening, suddenly feeling one hundred times more awake. "I didn't set an alarm."

"I'll stall for you," he said. "Can you be ready in fifteen minutes?"

I nodded. If I wanted to, I could be ready in five. Theo left and I quickly dug through my backpack, grabbed whatever clothes I saw first, and then booked it for the outdoor showers. After setting a record speed for showering, I brushed my teeth, yanked a brush through my hair, and then took off for the mountain path, where everyone gathered to start the climb together. We had gone quite a way up yesterday during filming, and we were almost ready to film the scenes at the top.

"There you are," Zara said, raising an eyebrow as I all but sprinted up to her and Theo. As I drew closer, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Are you feeling okay? You look a little pale."

I tried not to grimace. Everyone always thought I looked tired when I didn't put any make-up on. But to be fair, I was tired. "I'm good. I just couldn't sleep last night."

"Not comfortable?"

"No, I was just scared—" I cut myself off, cheeks burning, noticing how Theo's gaze met mine as I spoke. "I mean, uh, I have trouble sleeping in new places."

"If you're scared, I can ask the production coordinator if there are any available hotels tonight so you don't have to sleep there again," Zara said, unhelpfully repeating what I'd try to steer away from.

I wanted to disappear as Theo's lips curved down. I probably sounded like a child. Shaking my head, I offered Zara a small smile. "Nah, I'm good. Thank you, though. I'm sure the hike up will rejuvenate me."

Or destroy me.

After going up steadily the day before, I didn't realize just how much effort it would be to make a straight climb to our previous location. We were climbing for at least thirty minutes, and I wasn't meant to be that active. My breaths came quick and short, a pain developed in my side, and sweat beaded at my forehead— and I wasn't even carrying anything. I couldn't imagine the poor camera crew...because they were about a hundred yards ahead of me, chatting and laughing, having absolutely no trouble with the hike.