Chapter 40

(NOT EDITED)

NANDI MYENI

It has been two weeks since Leah came back. She doesn’t do anything. Noxolo hides behind her huge belly and Leah tells me that she has other better things to do. I hate how they are treating me. I am the one that makes sure there is food in the house. I am the one that makes sure the bills are paid. I am the one that decides what we eat, cook and clean around the house.

I don’t know if it is the pregnancy but I now love order and cleanness. I am now obsessed with keeping the house clean. I even enjoy cooking and organizing things. I hate it – it would have been fun doing this with the other’s help. We are here because of Nkanyiso so it is only fair that we help each other.

I tried talking to Nkanyiso about it and his response was that I get us a helper. We don’t need a helper, Noxolo and Leah just have to help around the house and we will be fine. I cannot believe how much this baby is changing me. The old me was going to ignore the chores just as the others do.

Despite Leah and Noxolo not wanting to help around the house, we are all tolerating each other perfectly. Leah has never bothered me since the day she came. Noxolo is a saint and she doesn’t talk much. I prefer her to Leah, too bad she is leaving after giving birth.

I wish they could swap places and Leah leaves instead. I cannot stand that woman. She acts like she owns the house and does as she pleases. Sometimes she spends the day out and then hides behind opening her own company.
I hate it more when she asks Nkanyiso for money knowing he cannot say no. “Love I need about thirty thousand.” argh she pisses me. What does she need all that money for anyways? Even I don’t use that money when going out. I am losing interest in buying silly things so I hardly spend Nkanyiso’s money. I hardly buy clothes since I am gaining weight. I will buy things again when I lose the baby fat and get back in shape.

“Good morning,” Nkanyiso kisses me on the forehead. I woke up early today and have been looking for a way to tell Nkanyiso to tell his other women to help me around the house. I know he will listen to me, he hasn’t been with Leah since she came here and sleeps next to me every night.

“Morning, Madida.”

He gently caresses my stomach, “How is our baby?”

“Not happy because her mother is always tired and on her feet the whole day. I need you to talk to Leah and Noxolo so they can help me.”

He answers, “I told you to get a helper.”

“We don’t need a helper, we just need to work together. I can’t be the only one cooking all the time. Please talk to them.”

He exhales heavily, “Fine, I will talk to them.”

“Thank you!”

“Good morning!” Leah barges into the room, “Breakfast in bed!”

I pull the bedspreads up covering my nakedness. Did she make us breakfast? Why? Does she want to kill us? “You cooked for us, why?”

She places the tray of food on Nkanyiso’s lap, “I cooked because I wanted to and I would never poison you. I have had my chances, trust me.”

Nkanyiso starts eating, “But you want something, you would never do anything without wanting something in return.”

Leah smiles, “So I was thinking, how about we go out as a family? Nandi, Noxolo, Amahle, me and you. I mean we are a family now so might as well start getting used to being around each other.”

Nkanyiso nods, “That is a good idea. What do you have in mind?”

She answers, “How about we go to Gold Reef City? Noxolo is heavily pregnant so she will just enjoy the environment and maybe they will allow her in the kids' ride. Nandi will be fine, we will go on the slow rides and then we can have lunch as a family. We can even have dinner there as a family and book ourselves in a hotel.”