Chapter 39 - The Dream

Slight Gore Warning ⚠️
———————————————————————————

     Yama sat on a couch within the carrier trying to fight back his sleep.

     It's been a couple of days since he's gotten a good night's rest. With how much he's been helping his old friend, self-volunteering to help keep watch, and his overall fears keeping him up when he did manage to get a few minutes of rest in. Finally sitting in the carrier while the Zone was on the move again with nowhere else to go besides this couch, it was becoming harder and harder to stay awake.

      However, (Y/N) was next to him once again. She wasn't cuddling him like the last time they were here together but she was propped up on the couch and facing him as she softly slept with one of her books in her lap. The motion of the carrier coupled with the story she was reading made her fall into slumber

      Yama wanted to stay awake, however. They were getting closer and closer to the Outsiders and they've always rubbed him the wrong way. He didn't want to be unconscious if the possibility of those demon pretenders showing up and going after each actual demon here can happen.

      But the motion of the carrier, the soft sounds of rain beginning to patter against the metal vehicle, and finally being off his feet were beginning to pull him under.

       His vision blurred as his eyes slowly shut and partly opened. His head drooped down and his crossed arms began to relax but with one deep inhale, he shook the sleep away and reached up to rub his tired eyes.

"Why don't you go throw yourself in the river? That'll surely wake you the fuck up."

      Yama froze.

      His red eyes traveled up to see dirty old boots and dark jeans that a red tail waved around.

"Didn't think you would be so fucking scared of some dirty humans." The voice snickered.

      Yama finally went further up and met the similar red eyes. They narrowed down at him before a familiar sinister grin graced his face as he observed his brother's stunned face.

"Dude, you look like you just saw a ghost." Akai mocked. "Straighten the fuck up. You look weird."

"This isn't real..." Yama whispered to himself. This has to be a dream. He had to be dreaming. He looked around for any sign that he wasn't actually awake. But everything looked real. The interior, the humans up front, his brother...

       Akai bit down on a cooked animal leg before pointing the piece of food at his twin. "Next time you visit my grave, can you at least give me something decent instead of that damn sorry excuse of a cross? So much for family."

      Yama gritted his teeth and looked away. "Even in death, you're still an ungrateful dick."

"And you're still a fucking smartass." Akai grunted. "Living such a sorry life. At least I went out with a bang."

"Getting brutally murdered enough that your body couldn't recover is your idea of going out with a bang?!" Yama questioned.

"Not me."

      Yama whipped his head towards the dark voice. Sitting on the couch behind (Y/N) was the dreaded dark demon who had his notable monotone expression as his single white eye stared at the floor.

"Should've killed that mutt when I had the chance." Ki's deep voice spoke.

"That useless fuck." Akai growled, taking a harsh bite out of his food.

       Yama leaned forward and placed his head into his hands. "I've officially lost it."

"So who's the chick?" Questioned his brother.