𝟐𝟖┆𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

.𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘.
.

I made my way back home towards Lockwoods house. The sun began setting after I entered Portland row casting an orange hue over the grey buildings around me.

The pavement began glistening in orange light as it was wet from what I guess was rain. I walked towards 35 with a sigh picking up my slow and tired pace.

As I reached the door I fumbled through my jacket for the keys. Of course I wore the same clothes from a month ago. At least my Mom had the decency to practically bath me in deodorant.

I pulled a strand of hair from behind my ear looking at it. My hair was greasy and oily. I suddenly felt self-conscious and disgusting.

I pulled out the key and put it in the keyhole turning it to open the door. As I did I heard three pairs of feet running towards the door as I walked inside. I pulled the key out closing the door behind me. "Hey", I smiled tiredly at them.

"You went missing for a month and all you have to say is 'Hey'?", Lucy sounded shocked as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Yeah, well. What was I supposed to say? My mom kidnapped me, brought me to her agency and did tests on me without my consent while I was asleep?", I spoke and soon realised what I just said.

I clasped a hand over my mouth gasping slightly as the three watched me with concern. "Wait! What?!", George exclaimed shocked as I sighed nodding letting my head down.

"Who even is your mother?", Lockwood asked concerned walking towards me. I sighed shaking my head trying to walk away to avoid this type of conversation with them.

I never wanted them to know I lied about my name. I didn't want them to know my name.

"No, Evie. You don't get to walk away after being gone for a month without letting us know anything about your well-being. We are talking. Right. Now", he seemed angry and my answer would probably make it even worse.

"Fine. You wanna know who my mother is?", I ask him with the same angry tone. I was so exhausted even if I slept for a month, this ghost really got to me.

He nodded crossing his arms.

"My mother is-", I started but got interrupted by something clattering upstairs. "What the hell", I muttered looking up while Anthony sighed grabbing a rapier out of its stander.

"We'll talk about this later", he whispered to me before rounding the stairs standing at the bottom of it. He looked up frowning as he saw nothing. "Who's there?", he called up the stairs.

I rounded the staircase looking up and gasped. The familiar smoking black figure stood there. "How are you here?", I narrowed my eyes as it lifted it's arm and seemed to be waving at me.

"What?", Lockwood whispered beside me making me turn my head in his direction. He was already looking at me. His eyes were filled with concern and confusion. "Evie there's nothing there", he spoke softly.

His brown eyes gazing at me with worry as his eyebrows created a crease on his forehead.

I frowned at him shaking my head.

"Are you blind? It's right-", I began turning back, but stopped myself as I saw it was gone.

"There", I finished in a whisper frowning at myself. "What? B-but-", I got interrupted by Lockwood you grabbed me by the shoulders turning me towards him.

His hands grabbed my shoulders firmly and yet gently. His eyes bored into mine as I lifted my head to look at him. He tried to smile reassuringly, but it turned into a grimace.

"I tell you what", he spoke softly while squeezing my shoulders a bit. I nodded for him to continue.

"You're gonna go upstairs and take a shower, I'm sure Lucy's gonna get you some clothes out of the closet", he briefly looked at Lucy for confirmation who nodded smiling.

I smiled back then turned my head back to Lockwood. "Then we're going to talk, but only if you feel up to it", he gave my shoulders one last squeeze before I hesitantly trudged up the stairs.

The courage I had earlier to tell them who my mother is, was slowly disappearing which each step I took.