Chapter 7

The clock struck 6:52pm. I had just gotten dressed in a pair of white jeans shorts and a peach V cut blouse that Ava had picked out for me. I pulled on a pair of black sandals and brushed my hair allowing it to gently flow down my narrow back. For the finishing touch I flung on a black headband to keep my bouncy hair out of my face.

Yes. I love headbands.

Standing infront of the huge mirror infront my bed, I gently brushed a light tint of pink blush across my cheeks before applying my favourite lip gloss from Maybelline. I audibly smacked my lips and stared at the final look in the mirror. I applied a thin film of mascara to my average-sized lashes. Satisfied, I smiled and showered myself in sweet, watermelon-scented perfume.

I shoved my phone into my back pocket and sauntered down the stairs. Episodes of loud, boisterous laughter met my ears as the Tyler Perry film my parents had put on played in the background.

"I'm heading off now. I'll be back before ten," I said pausing beside the sofa they were relaxed on.

"You're all dressed up," my mom teased glancing me up and down with a smile tugging at her lips.

"Mom, it's a party remember? I can't show up looking the worst," I said comically.

"It'll be too cold for you to walk on the street that late my dear," my dad worried. "Couldn't you make it home before 9?"

"Dad, I'll be fine," I assured.

"If you're not back by ten I'm calling out a search party," the senior cop said.

"Dad!" I sang sounding a bit annoyed. "I'll be fine. I'm seventeen, not seven."

Mom smiled and threw her legs across his lap. She knew that her husband could be a bit too protective of their only child.

"Go on honey, you're dad's just paranoid," she chortled.

I smiled and waved them goodbye before exiting the house. I stepped outside just in time to witness the road ahead instantaneously illuminated by the bright 7pm street lights. The air was a bit chilly but not enough to wear a sweater. I followed the road ahead heading towards the beach.

An image of Jaxon popped into my head. I had not been able to get him out of my mind. Every five seconds his beautiful smile and gorgeous hazel eyes encircled my thoughts filling ever corner of my mind. I hated myself for still thinking about him when I knew he had a girlfriend, which is my friend. I wanted to erase him from my thoughts but somehow I couldn't. The thought of him being here tonight made my spine shingle and my eyes spark. I can just picture how much more handsome he'll look all dressed up and how good he'll smell. My heart skipped a beat and the corners of my mouth widened into a grin.

Ugh. Snap out of it, Maya.

The huge sign at the entrance of the Carol Gates Beach glowed a bright blue and yellow hue. I could hear the crashing waves of the ocean not completely drowned out by the booming music and the sound of a bounce-a-bout being pumped up for the children. Just before I was about to enter I heard a familiar voice call behind me.

"Mayo," it called.

Tyler.

"You actually came," he remarked standing beside me.

His strong, manly perfume burned my nose for a second before I adapted to its scent. My eyes quicky roamed over his slender figure taking note of his appearance. He had dressed up in a ripped, dark-blue, knee length jeans and a white Nautica T-shirt along with a pair of white AirForce sneakers. His dark, bouncy curls looked even more juicy and defined than the last time I saw him. Talk about a fashionista.